Friday, November 10, 2023

Frugal Friday

 


Saving on things we buy

  • I used a business class upgrade (free, from my travel status) & it cleared for the return London flight. My work cap covered business just one way. Business on the return flight makes a huge difference in resting. (I usually can't sleep, but business class allows you to fully recline.) 
  • My flight out on Sunday was quite late (oh, what a treat!), and I had lounge access thanks to my business class flight. United offered meal vouchers, but I didn't need any more food. Instead, I did a bit of internet research, and you can use those vouchers almost anywhere. (Not just at the airport.) To make things easier, I added them to my Starbucks app. $60 isn't exactly worth hanging out at the airport all day, but it's better than wasting them. 

Earning money

  • Earned a $1,000 bonus at work, which was a nice surprise. Senior folks don't often get ad hoc bonuses, so it was unusual. 

Avoiding spending

  • Let Nick use my Amex gift card to pick up snacks he wanted at Trader Joes. In case you are wondering what a 16 year old might like there, he chose: three packages of mini cucumbers, chocolate milk, & some sort of ciabatta buns. :)
  • When we realized neither teen would be home for dinner on Saturday, used the same Amex gift card to pay for a date night. We had such a great time, and bonus points for it being unexpected. M was planning to grill burgers, so he shifted those to Sunday night. 
  • I spent $0 out of pocket on my work trip. 

Eating what we have

  • Honestly, I can't remember on Friday. On Saturday, we ate out (with a gift card) & I was traveling the rest of the week. I'm unsure what M & the teens ate. 

For others

  • We are doing a donation event at work, so I made my payroll donation & clicked through to receive the match.
What about you? Any wins to share?

7 comments:

  1. Welcome home. So glad your trip was a safe one. Always disliked traveling during politically violent turmoil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it's definitely nice to be home, jet lagged & all!

      Delete
  2. I was in a murder jury trial for part of week (it settled halfway through, which is unusual) and I cannot eat much when under that stress so I guess the “win” is that my clothes fit better …. lol.. I am so glad you were able to rest on the plane trip back. I loathe flying so much that I just don’t see how you can function after being on a plane that long. It takes me two days to recover from a cross country domestic flight. I look like something the dog drug up the steps and my kids do not want
    to have a convo with me because they say I am very grouchy… lol. I cannot imagine having to function at work the next day after an international flight! Kudos to you!
    Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my favorite. I can hack it, but it truly takes a lot out of your body, and I could never have a job where I traveled more than I do now. I'm traveling 1/2 as much as I used to (4 trips vs 8) & I'm finding it really challenging this year.

      Delete
  3. Lots of wins for the week. How wonderful that you could upgrade for the plane journey home.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly a gift! They usually don't clear until close to your flight, but for some reason, mine cleared several months ago. It was nice to know in advance I'd have business both ways.

      Delete
  4. I really like the blog and I hope people will have a new blog, thanks for the blog.
    ភ្នាល់បាល់​ អនឡាញ

    ReplyDelete