Sunday, November 5, 2023

Sunday Things

 It's a travel day, so that's looming over me, but I want to maximize my free time as much as possible. 

M & I had an unexpected evening with no one home for dinner (with teens, on the weekend, that is quite often the case). We opted to go out for dinner, and had such a fabulous time. That time to catch up & chat is really priceless, particularly as we are in such a busy season of life.

For a mixed bag of reasons, yesterday was a little emotional for me. Sam's last soccer game (they won, 3-0), Nick's SATs (reminding me that college is also looming for him) & Sam got his first college acceptance. Really driving home that he will be gone next year. All of the milestones! We've felt so lucky having two kids so close in age (well, once we got past ages 2-3, I don't recommend the sleep deprivation of those early days.) It also means that we will have back to back college departures. I've obviously known this was coming for a while, but it sometimes feels more real, like yesterday. 

On to today. I don't know that I can muster up enough energy to clean the house, and may either do a super fast clean up to get us through until next week, or see if the cleaning lady we used to use is available while I'm gone. It's an option I give myself when I'm traveling for work. 

Other goals for today:

  • Workout class
  • Have everyone write birthday cards for my mom, so we can get those sent out.
  • Write up fitness summary & share out. My mom, sister & I are doing a half marathon together, & I'm kicking off our training plan.
  • Finish last minute packing
  • Wrap up some work
  • Finish the budgeting tasks that didn't get done yesterday
  • Review the schedule for the week with the boys
  • Nick has calculus tutoring, and I need to remember to pay the tutor before I take off
  • Getting a ride to the airport around 2 pm
What about you? What are you up to today? For those of you who are empty nesters, were there any particular milestones that hit you harder than others? 

6 comments:

  1. The hardest milestone for me was dropping all three off for their first day of school. Our older sons were going to an instate school less than an hour away. We knew they would be back for an occasional weekend, but we took Son3 to Manhattan and knew we would not see him until the holidays. Though I did not cry I will confess to having a huge lump in my throat when the plane took off and we headed back to Birmingham.
    There are things you would do as a family that you miss, but it is pretty easy to adapt to a less stressful way of living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can imagine how it was more challenging for both the third son, and knowing he was further away!

      Delete
  2. Empty nester here, and I just love when our grown sons are home. It was very hard to get used to the quiet.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it took my parents a few years to adjust. Now, I think they enjoy that grandparent time so much, they don't even think about missing their kids! :-)

      Delete
  3. Sending our oldest to college was the hardest year, as she was like having another adult around. She was 8 years older than her next sister and she was the driver, sitter, cleaner. SO hard when I had to go back and do all those things. But it was nice for college having them spread out. & years for law school, then 5 years for Signe's dental program, then 5 years for B's double major. So 17 years of college. You will have to double up which will be hard, but you will adjust. Trust me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how hard that was - to give up someone who was such an integral part of the running of your household! And, that is SO much college! Good for your kids & you!

      Delete