Here's how the December budget played out:
Monthly budget - $12,620
Actual December spend - $10,953.
Yes, you read that correctly . . . we are actually UNDER BUDGET!!! In DECEMBER! Who would have thought? :-)
I'll call out a few things that helped us get there:
- We stuck to our grocery budget (and, this is a lowered grocery budget of $540) for the first time that I can ever remember. We came in at $538.97. :-)
- I received a refund on a race that was cancelled.
- I received a refund on my cell phone, which I dropped & shattered.
- I used an account credit to book the boys January karate lessons.
- We stayed under our dining out budget (again, for the first time that I can ever remember). Our budget was $200, & we spent $164.
- We came under our Christmas budget. Again, first time ever.
And, a few things that didn't go smoothly:
- We are in the process of refinancing both of our mortgages, & paid $1281 in fees. Yeah. Fees. Womp, womp.
- I swear that one day, my oldest son woke up & his underwear & socks no longer fit. There wasn't really time to plan for & budget - it was a must. So, I spent $40 on basics for him.
- We replaced our air compressor, which broke, to the tune of $100.
Through this kind of effort regularly, we should be able to keep our beach house.
How did your December budget go? Any big wins or lessons learned?