Saturday, February 29, 2020

Saturday Happenings

We had 12 teen boys over for a joint birthday party last night. It was fun, and we went through a tremendous amount of food. I was able to mostly use things on hand, with about $20 of fill in purchases. We served snacks to start (Pirate's Booty, Veggie Straws, candy). Then moved on to mozzarella sticks & wings. Followed by pizza. Then popcorn. Brownies & ice cream. I have now used up all of our Super Bowl wings, which just leaves a small bag of remaining mozzarella sticks.

Our freezer is now getting quite empty, and we will stock back up in case there are any shortages coming our way. One of the virus cases is a few blocks from our house, so it's possible there will be shut downs & shortages of supplies, as people stock up. We also happen to have our Costco credit card reward to spend, so the timing is good.

Edited to add: Costco was sold out of half of our list, all of which was typical groceries, but in more volume than usual. Plus, wine & coffee, because... can you imagine being quarantined without that? ;-) It's a multi hour process to go to Costco today, and M is carrying that burden. I went to the store & picked up other non-perishables to have on hand. They are things we'd use anyway, but I've never, ever, even seen lives like this in my life, or shortages. M grew up in Iran during the war, and describes it as something that was a regular occurrence growing up.

Despite some of the chaos swirling around us right now, we are focused on the things we can control. Here's what's on the to do list today:


  1. Costco
  2. The grocery store
  3. Rite Aid
  4. Drop off a bike at a friend's house
  5. Make the menu
  6. Vacuum (oh, the floor from the kids!)
  7. Take the boys to a soccer scrimmage
  8. Dishes (I have several loads I need to run due to the party)
  9. Laundry
  10. Run
  11. Strength train
  12. Bonus: list a few items on eBay
That's it from my side. What about you? What are you planning to accomplish today?

12 comments:

  1. You are a brave woman! 12 teenage boys holy cow. Yes, it is worth stocking up on things right now, enough groceries for several weeks and milk/bread (or alternatives). They also say to do that with medications if possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at a pharmacy yesterday, and saw many people stocking up on medication, which makes sense. We only have one prescription for Sam, and it's not something that is a must have, luckily.

      Delete
  2. Twelve ten boys! That is a lot of food..lol. Today, I plan on coloring my hair and shaking out the Kleenex that is all over a load of clothes. I am too exhausted from two days of doing this past week. I would be stocking up right now if I were in your position. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do a Costco run yet will buy a bit more food to stock up. It is the topic here as well, cases in Canada are not many and not close to us yet. We are keeping an eye on the news as lots of our relatives are in Europe. This weekend we have snow shoveling to do and a soccer practice tomorrow.
    I am eager to start spring cleaning for some reason but we had 25 cm fresh now just this week, clearly it is not quite the time yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite ready for spring cleaning, for whatever reason. Maybe inspiration will come next weekend!

      Delete
  4. I saw a picture of a grocery store in Hawaii with a huge line and almost everything being wiped out. I'm a new reader, so wasn't sure if you are actually in Hawaii now? In any case, getting supplies from the store looks like it may become a challenge as this virus makes the rounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are actually in the bay area, not Hawaii. I've never changed my blog name, and maybe one day we'll retire there!

      Delete
  5. Smart call using up what you had-and popcorn helps defray, but woah! That age boy are sometimes unfillable. I bought way more than I intended when shopping-maybe something told me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The popcorn was a great fill in for sure. I just looked around & tried to come up with creative fill ins, and this fit the bill. And yes, you unintentionally stocked up. Now you're ready & can avoid any potential crowds

      Delete
  6. I wiped myself out thoroughly yesterday just running a few errands so I'm trying to be extra careful as I feel on the edge of falling ill with some kind of virus or another. Hosting 12 kids sounds really overwhelming! I hope the clean up went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be extra, extra careful so you can rest up & not come down with a cold (or worse). The kids were actually great, although LOUD! :-) The clean up was pretty easy. I kept up with the food cleaning & then conned the last few stragglers into helping me with the dishes when their parents were late for pickup. ;-)

      Delete