Saturday, July 11, 2026

Saturday Happenings

 I slept well (hurrah) & got up & had a bit of time to enjoy my coffee & then get in a workout. I've just finished packing & checking over my "last minute packing" list, and am heading to the airport in 30 minutes or so. 

When I arrive in Tokyo, it will be about 3 pm local time. This is actually pretty ideal from an arrival standpoint, as I will attempt to follow my standard plan: check in, work out, unpack, eat a light dinner & head to bed. My goal will be to stay awake until 8 pm, but that will be heavily dependent upon how/if I sleep at all on a flight. I'm flying Japan Airlines, and their business class (at least on the route I'm taking) is quite a bit smaller than United, for example. They also still have the business class where someone has to climb over you to access the aisle, if you are asleep. I believe this is also the kind with an ottoman vs full lie flat, but it's been awhile since I've flown on JAL, so I can't recall all of the details. It will definitely be an improvement over the ~9ish years I had to take economy at my former job! I was able to book business only if it fit within a certain budget, so it was much more rare. I often upgraded myself, using points or personal cash.

Enough procrastinating - time to get this show on the road.

Hope everyone has a great week ahead! 

6 comments:

  1. I googled how long a direct flight was from San Francisco to Tokyo and it said 10.5 to 11.5 hours!!! Yikes! Hope you get to sleep or at least rest! I would be so fried by the time I arrived and not worth a quarter for several days! I don’t know how you function at these business meetings for several days… week???. My hat is off to you! Virtual hugs! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so rough. I'm too old for international travel. I wish I'd tracked how many work trips I've done over the last 15 or so years. Rough guess? Maybe 50? Would be more, but COVID gloriously cut at least a year out. It's so hard on your body. And, I'll be on stage, presenting with a translator, which is never my favorite! - HP

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! Flight was uneventful, and on time. Always a win. - HP

      Delete
  3. Grueling travel schedule. I hope the amenities are better than you recall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so rough. I'm thinking that I'll have one more trip to London to wrap up my work career, and then no more international work travel. I mind it a lot less when I don't have to be on my game when I arrive. In Greece, we had a very long travel day & I was jet lagged, but when we arrived, we didn't have to wake up for anything in the morning, slept in as long as we wanted, could have napped (I don't typically) & we chilled for most of the day. Not at all taxing. It's really different when you have to be up & raring to go, using your brain & on a very fixed schedule. - HP

      Delete