Friday, August 28, 2026

Frugal Friday

 It was a pretty standard week for us. Here's what happened at our house. 

Saving on things we buy

  • Uploaded a receipt to Fetch & iBotta ($.05 offer) & found $.02 in my shopping cart at Trader Joes. Big money wins here!
  • I was really craving a sandwich with the fresh garden tomatoes from my coworker, so I picked up sandwich fixings during my Trader Joes stop. While groceries aren't particularly cheap these days, I got what I needed for $12, and enough to make multiple sandwiches. We don't keep bread on hand, so it's a nice treat when we do get it. 
  • I was "in charge" of the Costco shopping this week, and found a few iBotta offers for things we were buying (grapes, Advil) & saved $2.40. I also uploaded the receipt to Fetch. 
  • We weren't exactly seeking this out, but M's coworker offered to sell him a Southwest voucher for $150 off of the value. We can fly Southwest for a variety of places we go, including Nick to/from Boulder. We have a year to use it, so we will ensure it gets used up ahead of expiration. Given flight prices, saving any amount is valuable. 

Earning money

  • Not really earning "money", but as part of Nick's room cleanout (this is sanctioned by him - he wants to get rid of stuff to make room for a bigger bed), I found a few gift cards that had slipped to the bottom of his desk. He will be thrilled to have them back - particularly the Chipotle gift card. 
  • Sam took the boys highest value Magic the Gathering cards (Nick hasn't played since middle school, Sam for 3ish years) & sold most of them. The boys split the money. We have a plan for the rest of the cards - they just need to get packed up & sent off. 

Avoiding spending

  • Nothing special to report here. I suppose that I didn't spend a bunch of money on decorations for Nick's college apartment? Seeing all of those Instagram videos really makes me wonder how much money folks have! ;-) 

Eating what we have

  • My stomach was a little sketchy from the new medicine I'm taking, so meals have been pretty light. Dinner was popcorn one night, which is frugal if not completely nutritionally sound as a dinner. 
  • Used up a zucchini I got from a coworker, and the remaining half of a bag of frozen Costco vegetables intended for roasting in our dinner on Sunday. We didn't love the Costco veggies the first time we tried roasting them, but they were better with this preparation. Now that the bag is gone, we will likely just buy fresh in the future, as it changes the texture of most of the veggies for roasting, and makes them a bit mushy. Overall very pleased with getting that bag out of the freezer, and ensuring we used up the garden zucchini, which was delicious.
  • Made lots of sandwiches & breakfast burritos, featuring the fresh tomatoes from my coworker. They were so delicious, we didn't want to waste any!
  • Sam asked for suggestions to make for lunch, so I pointed him to the leftover rotisserie chicken, tortillas & cheese, and he made himself a chicken quesadilla that he thought was great. 

For others

  • Offered to help out a friend with a resume review & intro for a potential new role. 
What about you? Any wins to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment