We are just cruising towards the end of the year! The weeks are flying by. It was a busy week, with plenty of school soccer, an office visit, a few late work nights, etc.
Here are our frugal wins for the week:
Saving on things we buy
- Bought Home Depot gift cards at the grocery store, earning $30 in rewards.
- I had some Rite Aid rewards to use up (from Black Friday), so I went in to see if I could find any deals that matched with iBotta or Fetch. Not much there, but I did use a $10 off of a $50 purchase coupon, & picked up a bunch of stuff we were running low on. I also restocked a few makeup items (mascara, for my gym bag & eyeliner, which I wear rarely, but I'm out of). Total was $16.50, after my rewards. I was able to get $6 off from iBotta for the mascara & eyeliner, bringing the total to $10.50 out of pocket. I then earned another $8 back. I didn't notice that I earned a discount on one of my items, so I'm also $2 away from a $5 bonus reward.
- Went back for the second round of Rite Aid (to spend the $2 for the $5 reward) & spent $8.26, earned $6 in bonus bucks, & another $1.00 via iBotta. I bought: shaving cream, four boxes of tea, & 2 mini chocolate Santas for the kids.
- M & I received our comp updates for the year, with our salary increases, annual bonus & stock awards. We also received a one time bonus (not part of our standard comp), which was super awesome & unexpected.
- Redeemed Fetch points for a $10 Amazon gift card
- Cashed out $25.55 of iBotta rewards via Paypal, added it back to the grocery budget
- Made $90 on Facebook Marketplace, selling outgrown skis & poles
- eBay....oh my. I'm very frustrated by some of their crazy policies. I'll leave it there for now, but wow. They make it hard to be a seller.
- I did sell an ugly holiday sweater on eBay
- I used Rite Aid rewards to cover the out of pocket cost of a prescription.
Eating what we have
- Ate restaurant leftovers for lunch 2x, and made the kids leftovers for lunch 2x. Teens are lazy, and if I prep it, they will eat it. ;-)
- Had a really busy night, and defrosted a freezer meal (taco cauliflower rice). Shredded cheese, sliced tomatoes & got the guac all ready to go. As soon as my calls were over, I heated up the dinner & we were good to go. Bonus points that it moved a large container out of the freezer.
- Nick had a taco quesadilla on another night, using up a bit more of the leftover taco meat.
- I had a taco salad for lunch, using up the tiny amount of taco meat & taco rice.
- We had leftovers several times for dinner this week
- Call with mentee
- Helped a charitable organization get set up through our work system, so I can log volunteer hours (as can others) & have donations matched
- Volunteered (2x) for a sports tournament for the kids
- Optimized my time to volunteer as much as possible, as I'm attempting to log plenty of volunteer hours before the end of the year. (My company makes a donation to the charity for each hour I volunteer.)