Wednesday, May 31, 2023

May Goals Recap

May absolutely flew by. Any time I have an international work trip, things are wonky during the week I travel, and it takes some time for me to adjust when I come back. We also had my mom visiting over Memorial Day, which was a fun treat, but a bit out of the normal schedule as well.

Here's how I did with my monthly goals.

Financial:

  • Stick to our budget - yes! This was a good month for our budget
  • Use 6 "hard to use" freezer or pantry items - I've been working on using up some of the meal delivery dinners I have in the freezer (they take up a lot of space) & used three of those, plus one leftover of a delivery dinner. So, I got to 4/6
  • Make $200 in side hustle - I didn't even think of this, really. I have a list of stuff to list on eBay, but with the traveling & having to pause sales, it didn't work out to list anything new. 
  • Update our withholdings - we've both made adjustments to our withholdings, although frankly, it's not enough, given the split of our income between stock & salary.
  • Decide on car insurance - Due to State Farm exiting California for homeowners policies, now isn't a great time to shop around for insurance. We're planning to stay with our current provider at the moment, as we have a combined auto & home policy, with some benefit to having the two at the same company. 

Family:

  • One fun activity with the kids - yes, we took the kids out to dinner with my mom, when she was here. The teens were hilarious, filling her in on their lives.
  • Finalize summer plans - done!
  • Have two dates with M - nothing official, although we did have cocktails by the pool at least 2x. 

Fitness/Health:

  • Focus on my running training plan - I was doing great, until I went to Tokyo. Things have been really inconsistent since then, and I need to get back on track.
  • Track calories & average below 1500 calories/day - basically exactly the same as the running plan. I've been off track since I've been back. When I'm jetlag, I rely on caffeine & carbs/sugar to get through the days. 
  • Stay focused on overall fitness goals on trip to Tokyo. Despite jet lag & travel days. - as you can see above, I did "okay" with this, in that I did run once, and went to the gym two other days. But, so much room for improvement here. 

Personal:

  • Do something social with friends - I went out with my friend on her birthday (in Tokyo), which was fun. 
  • Practice French on Duolingo - similar to some of the above themes, I did great before I left for my trip, and then fell out of the habit. I need to get back into the groove.
  • Start France trip plans - we've chatted a bit about locations we're interested, but that's as far as we've gotten
  • Give away 10 items on Buy Nothing - done! I probably gave away 15 items, plus a huge bag of lettuce from the garden

What about you? How did you do with your goals for the month? 



3 comments:

  1. State farm lost so much in the wild fires they are in trouble. Joel wrote his senior thesis on Fire in the Urban interface. That was 49 years ago. They told him to publish. His first degree was in fire science and repression. He predicted huge fire hitting homes if the US forest service and state did not do something about timber getting older and homes owners moving out to the woods in drives. Nature's way of controlling old growth is fire. Low and behold we see what he predicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about you today and wondered what had happened with your eBay sales this month and now I know. Good job on using 4 out of 6 on the hard to use up freezer items. You’re right some of those kits take up a lot of space. We are giving a2ay things at our local Trading Post on Sunday and hope to get a few things in return, all for free, I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really didn't do well on my goals this month. I did get all the plants in and finished a couple of my projects. Need to do better in the project department. As well as exercising.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete