Saturday, October 5, 2024

Saturday Grocery Shopping

 It's been a while since I've reported what we purchased at the grocery store (I had an entire year there where I tracked every single item grocery purchased & categorized it). That was a useful exercise, but I don't do that these days. I do still track all of our expenses, but just under the bucket of "groceries".  A typical week for us looks like:

  • One trip to Costco
  • 1-2 trips to Trader Joes (primarily for cucumber for Nick)
  • sometimes a trip to the grocery store, if we are out of anything, or need recipe ingredients. 
Our monthly average grocery spend has been right around $800/month. Given we fed two teens for most of this year (and, additional teens most nights of the summer), I'm feeling pretty good about our budget, even though we are over goal of $550/month. I have no idea what I was thinking when I set that budget. Obviously, I wasn't thinking too hard. ;-) 

M went to Costco today, and here's what we bought & the cost:
  • Organic bananas - $2.49 (Nick & I both eat these)
  • Sparkling water - $10.99+$1.75 redemption deposit (we all have 1 or so a day)
  • 2 lbs of organic broccoli - $5.99 (M's salads)
  • Organic balsamic - $12.99 (M's salads)
  • Olive oil - $29.99 (M's salads, plus regular cooking)
  • Organic pears - $8.99 (fruit for me + Nick)
  • Sliced cheddar - $10.69 (for cheeseburgers this weekend, and snacking after that)
  • Cauliflower - $6.99 (M's salads)
  • Organic spinach - $4.59 (for me, as I'm trying to eat a lot more iron)
Total spent = $95.46

How are you doing with your grocery budget for the year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment