I find myself quite impatient at the moment, even knowing that this is part of the process, and recovering & getting back to "myself" is a bit of a journey.
I finally updated my fitness tracker. I've been in a bit of denial, and tracking it made it feel a little too "real". Rather than my typical every day some kind of workout, it's been much more hit or miss - many weeks where I've had 1-2 lighter workouts. I had a one week work trip to LA, a week trip to Tokyo, and two weeks in Greece. Greece included plenty of walking, but I didn't go to the gym once while there. And now recovering from the foot infection.
I really enjoy hard workouts, and they (typically) give me energy. Without them, I feel a little blah & lower energy. That said, the lower energy is also related to the new medicine I've started, so there are lots of physical adjustments happening, at the same time my schedule has been absolutely wild.
Unsurprisingly, I've lost no weight over the last couple of months, and I feel like I've lost muscle mass. As an impatient person (always, always impatient), I keep reminding myself that my body is going through things, and I've also had life. But, I am committed to getting back into shape & feeling more like myself.
For visual interest, here's a photo of someone (Nick) who is very active & adventurous at the moment, preparing for a camping, climbing & backpacking trip to Yosemite. This is ultimate boy style packing. ;-) No list, just chaos.
As my health has evolved & changed, I mentioned that I'll be "retiring" soon, and by retiring, I mean no longer having a "big career" job, but taking some time off, and then perhaps working part time, or volunteering, etc. We are lucky that we have saved a lot to prepare for this time period, and I want to make my health a top priority. That's very difficult to do with my current role (I traveled 8 times in less than a year!) & the expectations, hours, etc. I'm still finalizing details & timing of leaving, but it is in motion & conversations have begun.
I'm looking forward to the next adventure, and taking care of my health & frequent workouts will be a core part of that "new" life.
Would love to hear how you weave health & fitness into your life, whether you are working or retired!

I think you are doing splendid, as my momma used to say. You do have a rather serious disease yet you work out like you are an Olympian in down time! Props to you! I don’t think you need anyone’s advice…. lol. Hilarious pic of your son’s packing vibe! My three sons would throw things into some sort of bag and go. It was so random. Daughter is a navy vet so she is far more precise and organized. Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteThis child cracks me up. Somehow, they always make do with what they end up with. But, it's not well planned at all! - HP
DeleteYou do have to be patient in infection and injury. You'll get there and back to your pre Greece wirk outs. Im trying to be diligent with the pt exercises at home
ReplyDeleteI hurt! But, she did say from her notes theres more rotation and strength since my first visit even though the session in between was cancelled. Ill take any positive feedback as motivation.
Good work with the PT. I seriously need to get back to PT with my hip, but my current schedule just really doesn't allow for it. But, it's clear that it's not going away with just time (they thought it might). Good news that the rotation & more strength with the PT time investment on your side - that's great! - HP
DeleteI can relate to your impatience. I am 51 and I swear when I hit 50, my body started to fall apart. Currently trying to rehab part of my body after years of negligence that I could overcome when I was younger. No more. Now I am paying that price. And now I have to try to be patient but I don't sit well so I go out and move and set myself back. Meanwhile my DH is in the best shape of his life and logging the most miles he ever has. It isn't fair....
ReplyDeleteKathi
Yes! It's hard to be aging at the same time health stuff crops up, and generally slow recovery for normal life stuff. I feel you on the impatience. It's hard to hit the balance between pushing yourself just enough, but not too far. I'm not 20 anymore, but I do still want to be active and challenge myself. Just in a healthy way. Determining that line is often hard for me. - HP
DeleteI work at getting in extra steps all day long, putting things away immediately after I use them gives me extra steps and less clutter, which is a win-win. I try to get in 10K steps each day, but do go over that on busy days. And I ride my bicycle pedals for at the least one hour per day, and more when I’m reading as it gives me guilt free time to read.
ReplyDeleteBelinda
10K steps a day is awesome, Belinda. And, well done on the biking. I look at the elliptical as guilt free reading time as well! I've had to leverage it a lot more than I prefer, but there's been plenty of reading! - HP
DeleteHP, you carry and do so, so much. Really, you are absolutely amazing how you juggle it all.
ReplyDeleteRe: weaving fitness into my life in retirement - we've made doing long 5 - 10 mile walks a part of our lifestyle. We place them onto our Calendars, and always enjoy a shared lunch or an iced coffee or small beers at some point during our walking/hiking 'dates.' I just don't know of any other way to remain trim while still enjoying tasty bites.
My metabolism has significantly declined as I've aged. Most online calculators indicate I'm burning a paltry 75 calories per mile I walk or hike.
So we walk and hike and walk and hike to offset our enjoyment of food. But the walking/hiking are sincere joys in our life, not a punishment.
Where I have to push myself is to go into our gym and weight train. Indoors is just never going to excite me, but I do force myself.
I really like the approach of treating long walks as both a social event, and a key part of your fitness. I have found that I really enjoy workout classes, as they keep me challenged. If it were up to me to design & maintain a strength workout at home or a gym, it would never happen. I normally see my friends (not at the moment, as they all go at a time when I'm working), but i'm hoping to rejoin that group when I'm working part-time and/or not at all. It's a motivation for sure! - HP
DeleteLOL, my husband still packs that way and wonders why he might run out of something. On the other hand, I usually pack too much.
ReplyDeleteOnce you are healthy once again, your workouts will take place and you will feel the better for them. Right now you need to get healthy first.
God bless.
Ha, M also is not the most disciplined packer, but has gotten better over the years. I like to think I'm rubbing off on him, but I say that as someone who forgot a bra on my last trip, so maybe I don't have much room to talk! ;-) - HP
DeleteGood for you for planning to step away! The pace you have described sounds unsustainable in the long term. I was a high stress professional and have felt a huge sense of peace since I retired. I wish the same for you.
ReplyDeleteI'm really looking forward to it. Just putting the pieces together to wrap things up with timing & all, but it's nice to have my boss aware, so we can navigate this in partnership. - HP
DeleteI have done zero exercise unless you count mowing, edging, cleaning up my patio, mopping, shopping, etc. And I haven't weighed myself in weeks. I guess I'm waiting for motivation to show up...
ReplyDeleteHere's hoping your motivation makes a reappearance, although I do think yard work & general activity isn't nothing! - HP
DeleteLong time reader, first time poster! A few years ago you were going to medically retire - but then you were laid off and after a while, found a new job, your current one! Always been curious why you didn't just retire at that point instead of finding another (stressful) job?
ReplyDeleteI've never taken a medical leave before, but I was considering retiring before I was laid off. My husband got laid off about a year after I did, and we didn't have health insurance. There were a few other factors all sort of happening at the same time: I as feeling a lot better (after a year of rest & not working), we weren't sure about Nick's college plans & wanted to ensure we had enough to pay out of pocket...but, mostly it was about health insurance. M got a job a few months after I did, but I decided to stay for at least a year. - HP
Delete