Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What to do with Italian plums

Yesterday, an elderly neighbor asked me to pick as much fruit off of her plum tree as I possibly could. She doesn't like the mess or waste of the fruit on the ground, & is physically struggling to pick this year. This is a crazy busy week for me, but she was so sweet & reminded me of my grandmother, who just passed away at the end of August. Plus, who doesn't love free fruit?!

I was only able to collect fruit for ten minutes before soccer practice, & I already have a ton of fruit. The neighbor came outside & begged me to return & pick more. . . so, what should I do with all of these fabulous plums? I made a plum freezer jam, and then froze everything else. I'd like to pick more tomorrow. . .

If the freezer jam is any good, I'll post the link & make additional batches. But, any suggestions or tried & true Italian plum recipes? Help! There is an awful fruit fly epidemic in Washington, so I need to get them picked & processed quickly.

2 comments:

  1. I think that I would ask the lovely older lady if you could bring a few people over to help. If she doesn't mind, I'm sure the other soccer moms would love the plums.

    ReplyDelete