Saturday, October 17, 2020

Pumpkins & such

 I picked up a couple of inexpensive pumpkins at Trader Joes a few weeks back, and they've been sitting on our front porch. Today, I convinced Nick to bring down our Halloween decoration tub from the attic. Inside the tub was a bunch of random stuff - a few adorable decorative plates, a few strands of pumpkin lights, 4 Halloween costumes long since outgrown, 2 masks, 3 holders for candy, & a few other odds & ends. I cleaned everything, & made a free pile of costumes for the neighbors. I also happened to find the rest of a police officer costume I'd hoped to sell or give away, so that's now complete. And, I'll either sell or donate the masks. Moving forward, we definitely won't need a tub, so I'll have to find the right place to store our few remaining items.

At the bottom of the tub was our pumpkin carving kit, bought on clearance years ago. When I saw that, I asked the kids if they wanted to carve our porch pumpkins & they did. My, has COVID changed our world. It's been probably five years since the kids wanted to carve pumpkins, but these days... that type of activity is a winner! Both listed the pumpkin carving ( and their socially distanced soccer- which, is a far cry from soccer of the past) as their highlights. While life isn't the same for them (at all, at all), it's so nice when there are things that feel like a bit of fun, in the midst of everything going on. (Sam's pumpkin, on the left, says "Beautiful". While he wouldn't admit to it, I think he made it so he could send a picture to his girlfriend.;-)) 



Other happenings today:
  • I ran a virtual 5k with my family - a harvest classic. We all posted pictures & shared some laughs over our times. They are getting together for soup & dessert & I wish I were there.
  • The boys had socially distanced soccer
  • We went out for an evening walk
  • M finished installing shelves in the closet of doom, which means I can put everything away tomorrow
  • I packaged & mailed an eBay sale
  • I went through both kids socks & underwear drawer, finding things to donate & toss. Everything is much more organized
  • I menu planned
  • M went to Costco & got groceries & a flu shot
  • I picked up an anniversary card - our 15th is next week. We had originally hoped to be celebrating in Italy. Ironically, we were supposed to celebrate my 30th birthday in Italy, but I found out I was pregnant, which was a huge & lovely surprise. So, we decided our 15th anniversary was appropriate... foiled again. Our 20th, perhaps? ;-) 
  • Nick made Szechuan noodles with fried eggs on top. Yum. 
  • M & I drank a glass of wine while playing rummy 
  • I did laundry (so much laundry) & dishes (likewise, always so much)

On the eBay sale, last week Nick & I picked up a few books off of a neighbor's "free" table. They also had a package of bike maps out (also free). Nick picked them up, but was not interested when we got home. A bit of research indicated they might be valuable, so I listed them on eBay on Wednesday, & sold them last night for $96. Crazy! They are now safely wrapped & ready to do to their new owner. 

What about you? Any fun activities this weekend? 


9 comments:

  1. That is so cool on the bike maps! Way to go. Happy Anniversary one week early too. Sounds like fun that the kids had decorating pumpkins. It's funny what comes back into vogue when there is a pandemic going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New reader here! As for fun things on the weekend, I was at the beach yesterday. Then had dinner with my SIS, BIL and uncle. Today, I stayed home and enjoyed a slow day. I love all sorts of fall decorations with pumpkins and colorful leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I've enjoyed your blog for so long. :) That sounds like a fabulous weekend.

      Delete
  3. Neither of us are Halloween people but JB is asking to decorate and carve pumpkins and since they don't get to do any of the usual things that are great substitutes, normally, I'm thinking about what little decorations would pack a punch. Ideas welcome! Perhaps a swath of cobwebs and a string or two of lights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also normally aren't big Halloween people, but...COVID. I wish you were closer, because we have adorable strands of pumpkin lights & probably won't put them out. I need to find a family who will use them.

      Delete
  4. T'Pol-glad you found Hawaii Plans blog-she's awesome. I love that the boys liked to carve pumpkins. I thought I might pick up some, but then thought who would careve, I don't want to. Well done on the resell of the map I'd have never been able to pull that off, but each week I tell myself I should learn more about E-bay. We've had a quiet day-a bunch of cleaning and hubs did some grooming on the dog, and now we have dismally depressing football on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you could always paint/decorate the outside with sharpies & then roast them & puree them for baking?

      eBay is a fun challenge for me. I enjoy it. Start small, would be my advice! Sounds like a lovely weekend, minus the depressing football!

      Delete
  5. Isn't it funny how a pumpkin can cause so much joy? First when it is grown and you watch it with anticipation, Then when it sits all orange and proud. Then you get to carve it and roast the seeds and eat them. After display you can cut it up and cook it and make a pie! That is a lot of joy from one little pumpkin seed.

    ReplyDelete