Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Credit card review

Edit: I wrote the last few posts over the weekend, and had them queued up to post. I received a comment about why I didn't post about Israel. I'm as horrified by the news as anyone else, and have coworkers who have lost family members. It's devastating. Also, to the commenter, please leave my kids nationality out of it, because there is no relationship of any kind. 


____________________________________________________________________


This isn't a sponsored link, just my own $.02 based on trying something this year. 

It goes without saying that the below only applies if you are comfortable managing credit card usage (it doesn't encourage you to "spend more" than your current system) & you are paying off the balance each month.

We applied for a new credit card this year, in advance of our Dubai trip. I took recommendations from friends, as well as did my own research, given the card has a super hefty cost ($550/year). Here are my takeaways, as well as value assignments. Note that I don't think this card would be worth it, unless you are a frequent traveler. We ended up with the Chase Sapphire Reserve.

  • You get the first $300 of travel spend credited back to you - $300
  • It came with global entry for one person, which we used for Sam. Sam is 17, and his TSA pre check will stop applying when he's 18 when we travel as a group. Also, for college, he may be traveling on his own. Global entry provides the international benefits, as well as TSA pre check - $100
  • We also received a subscription to Priority Pass, which is an airport lounge access affiliation. We have used the Priority Pass in the following ways:
    • To pick up food at SFO ahead of our flight to Newark, as there was no lounge access in our terminal. Instead, you get a credit at a restaurant in the airport - $28/2 people = $56
    • Four times at SJC, ahead of domestic flights - $60
    • In Dubai - $80
    • I used my Priority Pass membership in Paris, to get my friend into the lounge. I was able to get myself & my sister in, based on status, but you only get one guest - $30
  • Lyft discounts - $40 or so
  • Door Dash discounts (you get a $5/month credit, but I don't always use this) - $20
  • Received a 60,000 bonus after the first four months. I used online calculations for this, as we haven't "spent" this yet - $900
So, all told, the cost for the first year was $550, and we've so far received $1586 in value. For us, this has been a great card, but again, I'd recommend this for folks who have plenty of travel queued up in the year ahead, for maximum value. 


11 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that I’m sorry you were upset about a post. The people of Israel are in a cyclone — I feel awful for them. The people of Gaza are in hell as well. — I feel awful for them. I feel awful the M’s family and the people of Yemen, I could go on. We all need to support each other and teach our babies by example how to be good people. Spoiler alert it’s not by hating or blaming someone else. Don’t know what else to say. I personally have had trouble sleeping the last four nights. I fear the horror will only get worse. Really enjoy your blog so please keep posting. I’ve read you for a long time so remember that you had to stop posting pics of the boys because of hateful people. We just have to keep doing as much as we can to bring peace to. Ourselves, our families and helping as we can others. Peace too you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of hateful people in the world. I used to think that I'd enjoy the time when my kids were old enough to discuss current events. How naive I was to think that! It's really, really challenging & overwhelming to discuss. Working on bringing peace to ourselves & our families & helping others is good advice.

      Delete
  2. I am crushed by this war in Jerusalem, those poor people, on both sides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to need to take a break from some of the media content. While I want to stay informed, there's some level of horror that we're not designed to handle as a deluge of media content, and I need to do a better job of managing that for myself.

      Delete
  3. That is interesting info about the credit card. Also, I don’t really understand why anyone would expect you to comment about the horrors going on and bring family into it. There is zero correlation. You can contact the authorities, make a report, and ask for a digital trace at your central state agency which does those digital searches if you ever feel threatened. Even if they try to “cloak” an IP address, it can be found. Virtual hugs Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read blogs, I assume that people want to talk about something other than the numerous horrors occurring in the world, not assume that they are blind to those horrors because they don't post about them. Sometimes people really make you regret sharing any details about your life.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry anyone would even begin to ask another to comment on current events. I am fairly sure none of us in this blogging community have the answers to this conflict and any opinions are our own. As for me, I choose not to post about it, but as you said, it does not mean I am blind to what is going on.
    As a human, I feel for every single one involved, and seeing all the devastation breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I know you all can find news of the conflict on basically any other source, and sometimes go to blogs to escape from reality, if even for a few minutes. Absence on a totally unrelated blog of course doesn't mean that someone is not deeply bothered by current events.

      Delete
  5. I am deeply sorrowed by the attack denouncing your blog for a failure to comment. You have never made political comments and nobody has the right to demand that you do so. The attack on your sons' ancestry is despicable. I feel for you. Roderick

    ReplyDelete