Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Value of airline status

This is more for myself, than anyone else, as it helps to remind myself that there are perks for all of my travel status. Making the most of those perks can certainly have a financial value, but it goes without saying that chasing airline status is 100% not worth it, unless you have a very clear reason. 

In my case, work pays for the majority of my travel with United, and I ended up with two international personal trips (which, is two more trips than I've had in the last 20 years ;-)), and a few small local trips. I currently have 1K status, and am on track for 1K status next year as well. Having that status may influence timing of our next trip to see M's family. 

Here's the value I've currently earned, as a result of my 1K status. Cost value estimates are my own magic math, so take them with a grain of salt:

  • Upgrade on a flight to Pasco/SFO (round trip for myself + M) - $400
  • Upgrade for my sister, both ways from Portland to SFO/back - $400
  • Upgrades for myself + M from Newark to Dubai, to business class (this was a double upgrade, first to Premium Plus, then to business. It's basically unheard of, but 40 people missed their flights due to weather on the east coast) - $3000
  • Upgrade for myself + M to Premium Plus from Dubai to Newark - $1000
  • Upgrades for the boys to economy plus from Dubai to Newark - $500
  • Upgrade for me to first class from Newark to SFO - $500
  • Lounge access in Paris for myself + guest, where we had breakfast + coffee - $40
  • Gave a coworker an international upgrade voucher for two, and she gave me a gift card as a thank you - $200
  • My airline status earns me a corresponding hotel status at Marriott. As a result of that status, we were upgraded to a better room/patio in Nice - $500
  • Upgrade to business class on a return (work flight) to London in November, using plus points - $1500
  • Increased miles earned - $1000 (I used a guide online to calculate this, so very much an estimate)
Total value of the status to me for the year = $9,040. This guide calculates the overall value of my status as worth $7,455, but we got lucky with a few pricey upgrades clearing for the Dubai trip, as well as the work trip to London.

I actually still have upgrades to use, and no travel (not already in business class) through the rest of the year, so I will likely offer these up to coworkers. One of my coworkers offered his upgrades to the boys (how they got business class from Newark to Dubai, which was a life experience for them ;-), so I like to pay it forward. 

Do you have any travel status that you track or pay attention to? Hotel chains, car rentals, airlines? I used to have status on our preferred domestic airline, but they really haven't been competitive vs Southwest over the last few years, so we haven't used them as much. 

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting and nice of you to offer the upgrades to coworkers since you have no travel plans for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you make get to go see your in-laws this next year!!!! That is fabulous!!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to have and track all of those things. But Hubby quit flying after we moved to NY. I quit about 5 years ago. So no need anymore.

    ReplyDelete