Friday, March 1, 2024

Frugal Friday

 It's been a week, and more frugality is required in the future. I got laid off this week, which is likely for the best, but still hit hard after a very long career. I'm trying to spend the next few weeks processing & not really stressing out, but after that, I'll turn to the inevitable question of "what comes next" and trying to think in the longer term. Lots more on that ahead. 

Saving on things we buy

  • I picked up a few gift cards we will use & earned $45 of grocery store rewards
  • I thought of ordering dessert for a school banquet, as I have a really crazy work week, but planned ahead, picked up $5 worth of ingredients at the store, and made brownies over the weekend. The recipe says it freezes great, so fingers crossed. 

Earning money

  • M & I each received $80 as a settlement we were part of

Avoiding spending

  • Sam & I are doing one last college tour, and I used travel credits (from a cancelled flight) to cover the cost

Eating what we have

  • Used provolone cheese (leftover from Philly cheese steak sandwiches) to top grilled burgers over the weekend
  • Nick didn't like the dinner I made one night, so made himself a bagel & wrapped up his dinner. I had his leftovers for lunch one day.
  • Got home super late from a school meeting, so threw together a "cheater" chicken pad Thai kit we bought at Costco for just such an occasion. 

For others

  • Helped out with set up and clean up of the soccer banquet
What about you? Any frugal wins to share?

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. It is not you, it is the economy/corporate etc., many things are beyond our control. So, so many folks are going through the same thing. I hope the college tour/decisions go well for y’all and y’all have a fantastic time on the next tour! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say it happened to me during The Great Recession so I know the full range of emotions. I ended up moving several hours away with a much better new job and better quality of life. Still, sudden change is difficult. Sending good vibes and virtual hugs. Cindy in the South

      Delete
  2. I am sorry you were one of the many I have been reading about with the shakeup in various tech companies.
    Wishing you the best in figuring out what is next. I like to believe in the one door closes another opens saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry that you were laid off, hopefully you can find something to your liking if you so choose.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that isn’t the best news :(. Sorry to see that. Travelling extensively and the hours beyond regular working hours with time zones. You gave a lot to the company.
    Sometimes though an opportunity shakes itself out of the rubble.
    I have every reason to believe that your resourcefulness that you have shared on your blog will help you find a path when you are ready.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry- while you were contemplating a change, no one wants decision making taken away from them. You're such a a great planner and executer, I have faith you'll figure out next steps that work for you and your family. Your recap of your frugal wins is good example. Good luck to the boys on their college views and decisions. You're all in my thoughts and wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was sorry to hear the layoff affected you when I heard your company was laying off employees. I am sure you'll find something better if they don't call you back, with less hours, travel and more suited to your situation. It's never easy when you aren't in control of things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about the job, but I think you have yourself set up to get through it long term. The short term takes care of itself.

    ReplyDelete