Friday, March 22, 2024

Frugal Friday

 It's been another good week for making smart money decisions, reducing waste & generally trying to be good stewards of our resources. Having more time to think about these things certainly helps. 

Saving on things we buy

  • As I mentioned in my travel post, I'm working hard to plan a few trips, and keep costs down as much as possible. I have a few nice wins, using miles/points/credits/etc, which also aligns well with my 2024 goal of spending down all of these credits, and not letting things go to waste. Here's how we saved on travel planning:
    • Used three free hotel nights for the Sedona hiking trip with my mom, saving $977
    • Used a gift card for my very cheap flight - saving $118
    • Used Southwest points to book my mom's flight, saving $359
    • Used points to book a two night stay for M's birthday, saving $1500. I also redeemed a free room upgrade, resulting in a suite. We wouldn't pay out of pocket for that cost, but that room runs closer to $1850 for two nights (nuts!)
  • Used grocery store rewards to pick up things we need for dinners this week, as well as a few birthday treats for Nick. 

Earning money

  • Listed a couple of items on eBay. One of my items sold, yielding $8. 
  • My coworker mentioned that our work reimbursement site still works (there was conflicting guidance on this) until our employment actually ends. It happens that I have three items for reimbursement (we have a small stipend for personal development). I've submitted two of them, and will add receipts once the classes are over (a requirement). I'll earn ~$100 or so after taxes, thanks to this. 

Avoiding spending

  • Picked up a couple of dinner items at Safeway, and used my gift card, spending $0 out of pocket.
  • I'm doing a lot of networking/casual meet ups with people, and I always offer coffee or a walk for our meet up option. About half choose the walk, which I always prefer, which definitely keeps the cost down. Coffee is an inexpensive option compared to lunch or dinner, however. 

Eating what we have

  • Packed a sandwich & fruit to eat at Nick's soccer game, on a very busy Saturday. 
  • *Finally* used a package of Top Ramen that has been in the pantry for almost forever, in chicken yakisoba
  • Made homemade hummus out of the two lonely cans of chickpeas that had been in the pantry forever, and the just expired jar of tahini sauce. It's always a hit in our family, so I need to make it more often. 
  • Used the second half of a box of lasagna noodles (left over from whenever my parents were last visiting) to make ...you guessed it, lasagna for dinner. Bonus, I served it with garlic bread, and the baguette for that came from the freezer. 
  • Made progress on the shrimp scampi that was in the freezer, by adding it to the cheater pad thai dish we picked up at Costco. It was a delicious add on, and bulked out the meal quite a bit more. 

For others

  • Picked up trash on the soccer field, on my way to & from Nick's game (and, found a dime next to the trash)
  • Our neighbor had somehow gotten her car wedged against the wall of her garage (damaging the side panel of her car.) She came and asked M to help her get it out with the least amount of additional damage. I assisted, but he did most of the work & did an amazing job getting it out with no additional scrapes. He also spent a few hours on Sunday buffing the car out, getting basically all of the paint transfer off. He saved her at least $1500 of body work, and I worked in the yard & we chatted while he was working. I admire his patience, because it was very, very tedious work. 
  • Found myself volunteering for yet another senior night event - this one for club soccer's senior night. My friend promises me that this one is much less work. We shall see ;-) 
What about you? Any wins to share?

10 comments:

  1. I cooked a lot of dried red beans and ate with copious amount of apple cider vinegar , sea salt, and hot sauce., topped with sour cream.
    It worked… lol. I attempted to eat a fish sandwich with the Parmesan crusted Groton whole fish fillets from the freezer, with tartar sauce, horseradish sauce with homemade slaw.
    I am still having difficulty eating anything other than mashed potatoes, eggs, etc. soft foods so both meals were a real stretch for me. I am trying to avoid any sort of pain pills though. Since the salary cut, I may downgrade the hotel reservations I made for my daughter, which are already paid for, but it would be nice to get a huge refund without much compromise on her family’s stay. I buy my gas at SAMS because it is $2.92 gallon and elsewhere it is well over $3 a gallon. I will probably use a $5 off 25 to get my son’s fav Powerade from DG on Saturday. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are feeling better, and can eat other meals this week! So sorry to hear about the salary cut. Fingers crossed you have a good hotel option. Is it a chain that offers any perks for signing up for membership?

      Delete
  2. What a great frugal week you had.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing so well with saving and using rewards points and such! Glad your husband could help your neighbor. I know she appreciated that greatly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a doll and we enjoy helping her. Her daughter is a couple of hours away & drives up on Sundays, and always thanks us. It's no problem & we really enjoy being able to help.

      Delete
  4. My brother raves about my homemade hummus when he visits. Why I don't make more often is my question too. I love the coffee or walk meet ups. I picked up my friend for the church game night. Since I drove, she contributed the snack saving me a stop. So other than the cost of a bit of gas, a totally free and entertaining evening. That's a great neighborly deed. Well done M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love homemade hummus on a good veggie sandwich with cheese. Yum!

      Sounds like a great free meet up, with your game night! Well done.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a really good frugal week for you. Cheryl has a chocolate hummus recipe on her blog that is really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that in the store, but never made it. I bet it would be great with fruit!

      Delete