Saturday, March 2, 2024

March Goals

March is the month of the half marathon, combined with an international work trip, and whatever comes my way with work more generally I got laid off, but i guess I also get to skip an international work trip. We also get our annual bonuses in March, so you'll see us trying to knock out some of our yearly financial goals.

Here are my goals for the month:

Financial:

  • Set new goals & come up with a revised budget, post my layoff
  • Max Nick's 529
  • Max our 401Ks (standard for both of us, + M's catch up contribution)
  • Put aside money for taxes
  • Save the remainder of any bonus money for Sam's college expenses
  • Earn $300 in side hustle
  • Pantry/freezer challenge: use up
    • 2 cans of green beans
    • 2 cans of coconut milk
    • one bag of shrimp scampi
    • the rest of the corn dogs
    • an almost full bag of fish sticks
Family:
  • Help Sam finalize his decisions (one more tour coming up in April)
  • Get Nick started on the college application process + SATs & AP test prep
  • Optimize points, perks, miles. In March specifically, I'll be using miles to cover two nights at a hotel
  • Plan one fun activity per month with the boys
Fitness:
  • Run a half marathon
  • 8 stretching workouts
  • Lose 3 lbs
  • 10 strength training workouts
  • Follow the No S diet
Personal

  • Get together with friends
  • Practice Farsi 10 times
  • Declutter 50 items from the house
  • Start pickle ball lessons

What about you? What are your goals for March?

10 comments:

  1. Sending you positive thoughts all works out well. I guess the upside is the time with your boys and time to plan what will bring you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a salary reduction going into effect this month (and a slight work load decrease supposedly) because we are trying to avoid layoffs of staff members. So I have a new budget also. I had already paid for the hotel for my daughter and her family when they fly here for her brother’s graduation so I am happy to have that expense already paid for. I will not be doing any air travel this year since they are flying here and it is currently too expensive for me to fly anyway on my new budget. I will do little day trips only. Home owners Insurance went up a lot bc of the increased value of the houses so I am shopping around for cheaper insurance. I used the $5 off $25 at Dollar General today to get some items I needed like Sensodyne toothpaste for my upcoming oral surgery.and to pick up Kraft mac and cheese, Velveeta mac and cheese, Marie Callender’s chicken pot pies, Groton whole Fillets for fish sandwiches and Ragu traditional meat sauce for spaghetti that the kid will eat. He can usually taste the difference if I swap out brands and then won’t eat it so it is just a good idea to get what he wants and use a coupon. I just intend to keep on exercising as usual with my walking. I also bought crayons with the coupon,
    for the grandkids, to go with the coloring books I picked up at Dollar Tree last week. I am excited to hear what the final decision will be in college for your kid! That is such a wonderful experience!!!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  3. My main goal for March is trying to come in under budget once again and getting our taxes done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about the layoff. I am just now catching up with my blog reading. I know it's such a disappointment. I'll be praying something even better and less stressful comes along for you when you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS! You got laid off and your annual bonus! I know you had been thinking and planning about leaving this stressful job. Usually, if this is what God has been telling you to do, he makes it happen and provides the support you need. Bonus - Unemployment. Enjoy this time. Rest-Relax-Rejuvinate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was the layoff a total shock or did you have an inkling? Oh well I recall you have been thinking about a career shift for some time so guess this will force you off the fence and into exploring your other options. When one door closes another one opens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’d love to hear your perspective on maxing out your 401k. Ours are at a balance where I am starting to suspect we may have too much locked up for later, whereas perhaps having more access to cash for an early retirement would be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about your job loss. When something bad happens unexpectedly, I tell myself that it's because God has something better in store. I'm praying that everything will work out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry you were laid off, and hope you'll use this time to get some things done that you've had to put off due to your work schedule.

    ReplyDelete