Friday, April 12, 2024

Frugal Friday

 We were out of town over the weekend, so a few frugal wins from the trip as well as our regular life.


Saving on things we buy

  • I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the doctor's clinic I go to, over a "late" bill... one I paid several months ago & I could see had already cleared their system. There was a second bill where we were showing very different numbers, so hopefully in a few days, I can check the system & ensure everything was resolved appropriately. 

Earning money

  • Sold a pair of sandals on eBay
  • I mentioned in a previous post that a coworker advised me that our reimbursement portal was still open, through the end of my employment. I was able to fill out reimbursement for my workout classes, and am getting ~$40 for last month, and have a couple more that will also hopefully go through. 

Avoiding spending

  • Sam & I stopped by the lounge (free, with one of our credit cards) on our way to the gate. He filled up on some (free) food, and we avoided buying any food or drinks at the airport.
  • I had a free glass of wine on both the flight out & return flight (thanks to my status) & on the return flight, I was also offered a free snack box & chocolate bar. The boys were pleased.
  • I considered getting a hotel for Friday night, as we needed to be at the college pretty early. However, there was a half marathon happening that morning, and all of the hotels were either sold out, or very pricey. Instead, we stayed with my sister & got up super early. She was very sweet, and had breakfast ready for the teens, and coffee for me. Similarly, she let me use her car as well, so we avoided needing a rental car. My parents also hosted a dinner at my sister's house on Saturday & brought lots of delicious food. 
  • We filled up our water bottles at the airport, avoiding the need for any drinks.

Eating what we have

  • I made Nick a late lunch on Friday, ahead of our flight 
  • Sam & I had cauliflower taco rice (turned into burritos) for dinner on Monday. I had leftovers for lunch on Tuesday, but opted to skip the tortilla, and instead turn a potato into wedges, pan fry those & add the cauliflower taco dish over it, sprinkled with a bit of cheese. It was fantastic & I definitely preferred it over the burrito. 
  • Used up the last of the hamburger buns from the freezer

For others

  • I'm still able to request a match for my volunteer time, so I went ahead and added some volunteer hours for the soccer club project I'm working on. It generates a $10/hour donation to the club, which is cool. 
  • Met with a friend to get the download on my soccer club project, and started working on it again. 
What about you? Any wins to share?

13 comments:

  1. How great that the reimbursement portal was still open and you're getting $40 back. I love it! We've had the cauliflower taco rice too and it's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, because it was very unexpected! Once my coworker pointed it out, I was able to go through all of my receipts & get a few things submitted. I still have a couple of items I can't submit until a few days before my role ends, so hopefully those will still get reimbursed as well.
      -HP

      Delete
  2. My win is an odd one for me.
    We have a family vacation planned for June. It is after the prime season for travel there and should be extremely hot. Since we will be dining out a few nights, I decided I will wear long casual dresses. I usually avoid "cheap one time fashion" and prefer to keep things for several years, but I bought 2 dresses from Amazon that will work for the trip. They can be shortened afterwards for daytime summer wear here in town, because I will never wear them as a long dress again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the creative plan with the clothes! Do you need different clothing for this particular location due to the temperature, or to how dressy the events will be?
      -HP

      Delete
    2. We are going to St Barths. It will be hot and I am not about to wear shorts to dinner. I figured the coolest option and still look decent was to plan on floor length sun dresses. I know other than dinners there I would never wear that length again , but I can shorten them and wear around town when we go out this summer. Anne

      Delete
    3. Love this idea, Anne, & .... St. Barth's! So envious. Sounds fabulous. -HP

      Delete
  3. No wins in Hawaii, but I like to read about yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to keep things frugal in Hawaii, for sure! Glad you had fun.
      -HP

      Delete
  4. Good timing to get that reimbursement. I bet the boys liked the treat boxes - airport food is limiting and so expensive. Now that I've cut so much soda out, I crave water, so refilling bottles is just habit now. Your sister was a good support system for you, as I know you've been for her and your nephew. Family's can be the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys love snacks on flights. I swear that, regardless of how much they eat before or after, it's just something they always want. I pack ahead for that and road trips. It's so much easier (and cheaper) to bring options, vs being stuck with the airport's limited options & expensive prices.

      Yes, my sister is awesome & was so helpful. If Sam ends up at OSU, I will definitely get to see her more often, which will be fabulous.
      -HP

      Delete
  5. I, like you, am rooting for Oregon State because you have family in that state, and I have always heard it is a top notch engineering and agriculture school and the tuition appears to be reasonable. I believe it is a “sister” land grant school comparable to Auburn and Mississippi State and I love the engineering dept at those two schools along with the agricultural and vet schools there. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really a great school. I have everything crossed! Tuition cost is relative, I suppose. It's the most expensive of his final three choices, but not by much from the next most expensive.
      -HP

      Delete
  6. That was really sweet of your sister! Hope the college visit went well! I know it was good to see your family!

    ReplyDelete