Saturday, April 1, 2017

March goals - how did I do?

March was the "month of moving", so definitely not our standard month. There was a lot packed into those 31 days!

1) Financial - 
  • Declutter, pack & move! - we did it!!!! We didn't declutter the garage as much as I would have liked, but given the compressed time frame & my trip, I'll take it. 
  • Get our San Francisco house rented (we are limited on what we can do, other than keeping the house clean & ready, and making it available for showings.) - We found a renter, they signed a contract, and then bailed. Our landlord did get to keep a deposit, so we are now out of our lease. 
  • Build a brand new budget for our lives, with our new costs & expenses - mostly done. 
  • Find one alternative cost cutting option (so far, in January I started using newspapers to clean mirrors, in February I utilized my bike to run errands, so let's see what March will hold!) - I didn't really accomplish anything in this vein in March. 
  • Sell another $100 of items on either eBay or my local Facebook swap site. - I stopped selling stuff & ended up donating as it got closer to the move. 
  • Unpack & organize the new house - we are 75% of the way there. The rest of the stuff requires things like: drawers/shelving in the closets, etc. None of the closets have a single shelf, and the kids rooms are very small. We need to sort out the storage situation in their rooms before we can finish unpacking/organizing. 
2) Family - Spend more time together as a family!

  • Do a minimum of one fun activity/month with the kids. This can be family puzzle night, cooking dinner together, board games, going out somewhere, etc. - well, not sure how fun it was, but we all moved & packed together. ;-) 
  • Be more present with the kids & M - play games, minimize computer time, exercise together, etc. - we had almost no time for anything other than the move. 
  • Have two dates with M per month (one lunch, one evening)  - I had a dinner date with M last weekend, & it was fabulous!
  • Figure out adjusted travel plans for 2017 - done!

    3) Fitness/health - Lose 3 pounds in March - I stayed the same. I did gain 2 lbs on my business trip, but have since lost them. Sigh.
    • Run 12 miles in March - Yes! 12 miles exactly!!! 
    • Eat five servings of fruit & vegetables (combined) per day - I averaged 3/day. Not as good as I would have wanted, but still remembering to make this a priority.
    • Complete 1000 minutes of cardio - I finished the month with 960 minutes, which makes me happy given the move chaos. 
    • Complete 6 strength workouts. - Only two strength workouts
    • Complete 6 stretching workouts. - and zero stretching workouts. I don't have a yoga area set up at the house yet, and this is a problem. 
    • Work out at least once on my business trip - yes! I did work out one time at the gym, and have several days with 20,000 steps. 

    4) Work/career - Improve my work life balance.
    • Keep better perspective at work/reduce stress  - considering I was once again covering for another leave, I'm feeling pretty good about my work life balance. 
    • Work from home 2x this month. - yes, I managed twice. 
    • Find a new job - we are reorganizing our larger team at work, and I've designed a role that is significantly better for what I'm looking for. It will require hiring, which is always time consuming, but the ultimate role should be a much better match for what I want to do, and my time management. 

      5) Personal/creative - Spend more time on myself/creative pursuits.
      • Try a new recipe - I don't think so. I didn't cook much this month at all. 
      • Do something social at least once per month. - I can't think of anything social that I did, either. 
      • Volunteer a minimum of 1x/month. - I was supposed to volunteer yesterday, but a work meeting was moved & clashed with my volunteering event at the school, unfortunately. I am signed up to host/sponsor a party for our school auction, so that's been happening & being planned for May. 

      All told, I'm extremely happy with the progress I made in March, considering the factors. I also had a nine day business trip that ate up three weekend days, so feeling good that I accomplished so much in a limited portion of time. What about you? How did you do with your March goals? Any big wins to report?

      2 comments:

      1. I consider any month you move from one place to another without killing yourselves or anyone else a success. Everything else is just gravy!

        ReplyDelete
      2. You moved house and that alone is reason to celebrate. Having your yoga space will feel great I bet.

        ReplyDelete