My sabbatical requires me to use all existing vacation before beginning, so I'll use about three weeks of vacation, and then have a 90 day (unpaid) sabbatical. Although it's, unpaid, it's very much worth it to me. Here's why I'm excited about the timing:
- From a work perspective, I will have the opportunity to train a new hire (a people manager on my team) to get up to speed. This means, everything should go more smoothly when I'm out.
- I'll have time off from work with the kids (over the summer) & without the kids (last couple of weeks of May + the first week of June). Then the kids & I will have the summer together, & I'll have a few weeks to recover once they go back to school.
- I've never had a summer offer before! I started working when I was 15, so it's been. . . 28 years of working summers. What an exciting feeling!
- We won't have to pay for summer child care. We do have the kids registered for a sleepaway camp, and will keep that. Otherwise, we may do a few half day soccer camps here & there, if they are inexpensive. We will save the rest of the summer camp budget we had set for 2019.
So, what am I going to do with all of my time? I haven't completely finalized my plans, but here are some things I'm thinking about:
- My sister & BFF are coming to visit (and, we're running another half marathon) in May, right after my sabbatical starts. Perfect timing!
- I'd like to use the next few weeks to get things done around the house. I'm thinking of the following:
- A lot of deep cleaning. So. much. deep.cleaning. All of the things I never get to.
- Organize all of our photos. Both digital & print. I'd like to scan all of the print photos, and make photo books from everything.
- Do some journaling/writing.
- Declutter our house
- After the kids are out of school, I'll fly with them to my parents house for a mountain biking event. I'll attend, & then may go to our vacation house while my parents have "Nana & Papa Camp" with the kids. It is, by far, my kids favorite summer camp. :-)
- While the kids are at "Nana & Papa Camp", I'm hoping to spend some time at our vacation house. Maybe a girls trip with my sister & BFF, if it works for their schedules.
- I also would like to spend time at the vacation house decluttering & deep cleaning, because it needs it. We may need to arrange for a few appliance repairs or other house work there, and we are never at the house long enough to accomplish this.
- We will have a Fourth of July party/vacation at the house with family. Kite flying on the beach!
- We'll head home after the 4th
- The kids will go to sleepaway camp for 10 days, while M & I hopefully go somewhere for a long weekend
- We'll take it easy the first two weeks of August, getting the kids ready for back to school
- The kids will go back mid-month & sports practice & schedules will begin again
- Sam & I are signed up to do the relay at the end of the month, so we'll head to Portland for that
- I'll head back to work, if there are part time opportunities. Given how close it is to the end of the year, I may go back full time to earn my January bonus. Decisions, decisions. Then I can make a final plan in January.
My overall goals of the sabbatical are to: recharge, relax, think about my long term future/career, get healthier (drop some weight), enjoy my time & flexibility, & spend as much time as possible with family & friends.
How would you spend ~15ish weeks off, if you had the chance?