Friday, July 17, 2020

Frugal Friday

Money continues to be spent crazily as part of the remodel, but we had a few frugal wins. I'm also going to track how many meals we make at home during this time, because ... it's a victory each & every meal.

Saving on things we buy

  • Used two coupons for popsicles. It was 90 this weekend, so we picked up a few packages, and saved $2.50. I forgot I had the coupons, but luckily, Nick was with me & reminded me. 

Earning money

  • Random things I've sold this week:
    • An old cooler that M has had since long before I've known him
    • 2 hanging file folder containers I've had for 20+ years. We purchased some office furniture for WFH, and it came with a filing cabinet that makes the containers obsolete
    • A dry fit polo shirt & an Adidas tshirt that Sam outgrew before he could really wear
    •  The "armor" from the inside of a motorcycle jacket. The jacket was ruined when I tried to clean it (it was destined for the garbage if it wasn't cleaned, but I had hopes). I decided to pull out the armor & see if anyone wanted it, to avoid it going to the landfill. Luckily, yes! It sold in a day. 
    • An old leather motorcycle jacket that was stored in the shed. It's now too big for M, but needed a lot of love to be usable again. It sold quickly when I posted it. 
  • Continued to list items as I find them. We had to pack our kitchen, and empty out our outdoor shed for the remodel, so that led to finding things we don't use much.

Avoiding spending

  • Used grocery store gift cards to stock up on a bunch of easy to heat breakfast & lunch items. Not things I'd normally have on hand, but good to keep things easy without a kitchen. 
  • Also used grocery store gift cards for a socially distanced meet up for Sam, so he & his friend (they met at a park) could each have their own drinks & snacks. 
  • All meals eaten at home. There have been some creative options, and we're paying more for convenience (more easily prepped items), but no meals out yet. It will happen, but each meal prepped at home is really an achievement.

That's it for us. What about you? Any frugal wins for the week? 

9 comments:

  1. It's funny what will sell on eBay. Sometimes the parts are worth more than the whole. My daughter sold a parrot with a remote control, but I had bought her another remote control for it and it sold for more than both of them together. It's nuts. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! I'm so surprised to see what sells. We are also leveraging FB marketplace for things that are heavy & not worth the cost of shipping.

      Delete
  2. I am going to put some things on a sale site here. You have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! It's worth it. Moving is the right time. Money in, less crap to move!

      Delete
  3. You are doing so well both with declutter then selling itesm and thehome cooked meals. So what if you use a bit of convenience foods. I kno people tha through remodles never ate at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've lasted a week, so feeling good so far. :-)

      Delete
  4. The opposite for us this week, I spent money on a handful of little luxury things to make life a little easier and it's been really nice to be able to smooth those rough edges. Then we also had a couple of big vet bills as well, and while that wasn't fun, I'm ever so grateful that being careful with our money on a normal basis means I know we can cover the dog's care without flinching or heartburn later. That was most definitely not the case ten years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes those little luxuries are just what you need. Right now is such a challenging time. If there's something that can make your life easier & you can afford it, go for it. And, such a relief to have money to cover your vet bills.

      Delete
  5. Frugality is about changing your lifestyle, because if you do not change how you live, you will not save anything. We really need to tighten our belts and save where we can. frugal living

    ReplyDelete