I divide my goals into various categories, to help me remember my highest priority buckets. Let's review the personal/creative bucket & see how I did for the year. (Keep in mind that all goals were set for the year ahead of COVID, so adaptations were made along the way).
Here's a look at all of my 2020 goals, if you're curious. Here's how I did with my personal goals.
- Make time for my friends. Do something social at least once per month - this largely evolved into weekly virtual happy hours, although I did get out for some socially distanced walks & hikes this year, & that was also lovely. We all stayed safe, but stayed in touch. I'm not sure I could have survived the year without my friends & family.
- Volunteer at least once per month - yes! Major progress made on this goal in 2020. I signed up to be a consultant on a literacy based non-profit in 2020, and have already spent more time on this activity than my volunteering for all of 2019. I'm enjoying it, and feeling great about my contribution. Without COVID, I'm not sure I could have signed up for this in my previous world of commuting, international travel, etc. So, I'll appreciate the blessing that came out of the year.
- Write & journal regularly - yes! I've journaled almost every day, and have 69 pages of thoughts & three things I'm grateful for (each day). Making the list of things I'm grateful for, particularly during this year, has been truly critical to keeping a healthy mental attitude during a difficult time.
- Adapt a more positive mindset (judge less) - I did reasonably well, considering the year we had. The gratitude journaling really, really helped.
- Listen more often (vs talking) - I have a lot of work still to do there, but improvements are being made.
- Stop/greatly reduce swearing - I've also made progress here. The election & a few parts of the pandemic were a challenge, but I'm definitely better about this than I was in 2019.