Wednesday, December 9, 2020

How I spent my clothing budget in 2020

I set a goal in 2020 to spend less than $500 on clothing for myself for the year. I looked back over my spending, and totaled it up for the year. In total, I spent $617.87. In reflection, I'm pretty satisfied with what I purchased. 

Here are my purchases for the year:

  • Target - $33.44, 4 new bras
  • Amazon - $17.50, a new sports bra
  • Costco - $9.99 - 2 more sports bras
  • Thinx - $42.07 - underwear
  • Amazon - $135.08 - running shoes
  • Costco - $13 - running tights
  • Gap - $27.50 - jeans
  • Gap - $10 - short sleeved black tshirt, for layering
  • Banana Republic - $25.99 - blue plaid shirt
  • Amazon - $283.30 - 2 more pair of the same running shoes (more on this below)
  • Costco - $20 - slippers

This year was largely about working out & basics.

How I feel about each purchase:
  • Target bras - no regrets. I buy inexpensive bras, so they need to be replaced with some regularity. (Every other year or so.) 
  • Amazon & Costco sports bras - 3 new ones in total, and I recycled my old ones, many of which were 10+ years old. 
  • Thinx - experimenting with a more sustainable option. Don't love them, but will likely be useful during certain times.
  • Amazon - running shoes. I had to replace both of my previous running shoes at the same time, which is unusual, but a reflection of a great workout year in 2020! I always keep a spare. I bought the same pair one size down for indoor workouts. When I run, my foot expands & I need a larger size
  • Costco tights - I don't love these. They are fine, but will be more around the house tights vs running tights. Good news, I have plenty of use for this in 2020. ;-)
  • Gap jeans & short sleeved black shirt - comfortable basics for working from home
  • Banana Republic blue plaid shirt - I have a really, really boring work from home wardrobe & just bought this. I like it. It's a basic, and will allow me to add a bit of color to my meetings. 
  • Costco slippers - These were a luxurious, work from home splurge & I have no regrets. They are so lovely on a chilly day, and provide more support, given I'm at home all day, every day. 
All told, I feel good about my budget, the way I spent the money & my focus ensured I wasn't out randomly buying things. Although, honestly, not going anywhere also eliminated any shopping with friends scenarios. ;-) 

What about you? Did you buy any basics or luxuries to improve your current COVID life? 

3 comments:

  1. since I had so few basics, I needed to fill out those items. However, the one pair of pants I bought did not fit. I found three racer-back tees for $1 each and that helped for tops. Mostly, I have been making do and washing more often, not what I like to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a comfy wardrobe. My sister buys most of my clothes. I have at least 8 new church suits and dresses I have never worn because of covid. She needs to quit shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had been wanting to make a change in how I approach clothes shopping, and due to COVID it finally happened. That being that I wanted to start buying shoes/hats/clothing from local boutique or specialty stores rather than chain stores. So I spent more on each item in 2020, but bought less items overall. And I really enjoyed the small store customer service vs. harried big store experience. One item that makes me smile each time I wear it, is a baby blue felt hat I purchased this year to wear with jeans and a white blouse. Also, my new, furry Uggs. 😊

    ReplyDelete