Friday, December 18, 2020

Frugal Friday

 It was a really busy work week, but I did manage a few wins:


Saving on things we buy

  • I noticed that I was a bit short on a Rite Aid rewards offer on my last purchase (spend $1.60 more on Listerine & earn $6 in rewards). I didn't go for the cheapest qualifying offer, but instead picked up a $5 item that I'll need in the next few months. Spent $2 (rewards for the rest) & earned another $6 in rewards. And, have an item I know we'll use tucked away for later.
  • Used the $6 in rewards another day to pick up a few last holiday items we needed (Sam needed a Christmas card for his girlfriend, & I picked up one for M. I usually make my own, but saw an adorable card & couldn't resist.)
  • Bought Alaska Airlines gift cards on Costco. They are ~10% off, plus we receive another 3% off with our membership. They have no expiration dates/blackout dates & this is our preferred airline given travel destinations. We're hoping to eventually travel again! :-) 

Earning money

  • I received my compensation update from my employer, including my salary, bonus & stock. My salary is ~ 1/3 of my overall compensation, but I still consider that to be the most predictable part of our income & budget largely on that. I'm coming up with a plan for my raise for next year, to give thought to where we want to spend it. Likely the kids college accounts. 
  • While I've now shut down eBay sales for the holidays (due to traveling to Oregon), I did sell that last of my two crystal glasses, so I'm glad to get those out of the house & mailed off to someone who can enjoy them.
  • And, I had two broken items in the mail recently, and they were properly packed & insured. It took some work to get the shipping insurance request to the post office, but they turned the claims around quickly & I received my money back, which is great. 

Avoiding spending

  • Considered going into Trader Joes when I was at Rite Aid (they are in the same complex), but reminded myself that we didn't "need" anything, & I'd have to wait in line in the rain. Didn't go in, which means I spent $0  dollars on Trader Joes purchases. :-) 
  • Cancelled our flights & rental car for holiday trip. We will drive instead. It's about a $1100 savings, after factoring in gas & food. We didn't make the adjustment due to cost (it's 24 hours of driving, so eats into the vacation time quite a bit), but to keep everyone as safe as possible due to COVID. 

For others
  • Made a hat for the homeless charity
  • Nick earned $20 on a bike repair, and used the money to sponsor the construction of a kids bike park
  • Met with my mentee at work
  • Sent off my contribution to my disabled aunt's health care costs. We've helped out for years, and it allows my aunt to have a little flexibility in her budget for other things. Also helped my mom with some of the organization/computer work for her support of my aunt. 
  • I helped out with a project at my volunteer job & submitted my hours for a company match
That's all from our side. What about you? Any frugal wins to report this week? 

8 comments:

  1. That’s real family support helping your aunt. Drive time could be fun if you get creative, but I’m assuming you’ve had a lot of togetherness already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a lovely person who worked a minimum job from 20-65, and is just now about to start collecting social security. She's mentally disabled & there just aren't a lot of programs for people who sort of fall through the cracks - able to do some work, but going beyond that is out of scope.

      SO much togetherness! :-)

      Delete
  2. I love that you help your Aunt. Sis and I do the same thing, with our Aunt. We give enough each year to pay the taxes on the property in which she lives. Other wise she would have to save for this out of her meager income. We also buy all her clothes and nummies and pay for her travel if she goes any where.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a lovely gift to give someone! Likewise, we help out with travel (rare, but she's gone to visit her other sister with my mom before), clothes, etc. She's also the only adult we buy gifts for (Christmas & birthday) as she really needs things & it's so nice to help.

      Delete
  3. I switched over to Listerine from Crest Pro Health mouthwash after reading tat Listerine was good for fighting germs/Covid. That is so nice of you to help your aunt. I know every little bit helps. Glad USPS responded to your claim so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been using mouthwash daily for years, and I've also read that about COVID. Anything that can help & is easy to implement!

      Delete
  4. It is wonderful when families work together to help with a family member who needs a little "love" money.
    I think of avoidance spending as the most frugal thing of all. I did stop at TJ's this week and was surprised at how restrained I was. Their Christmas items that usually sing to me were just not enticing and I left with making just 1 unplanned purchase (A first for me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome job at TJs staying on track. That's a big problem for me. :-)

      Delete