It was a busy week, with Sam in soccer camp & Nick wrapping up school, along with plenty of other errands. But, it's also a week where we planned out summer travel. I can't believe it - travel planning is back! I'm very tired after the busy week of getting ready for vacation, but we're almost there.
Saving on things we buy
- It took two very long calls with Comcast, but I got our internet bill back under control, after they raised our rates. This promotion is good for the next two years, which will help. In total, I'll have saved $1200 in two years, by calling in. So, well worth the time, despite the temporary pain.
- I also saved $.70 on our grocery bill via iBotta offers, and uploaded all of our receipts to Fetch as well. The contrast of those small vs large savings..they all add up.
- Used Southwest points & a tiny amount left over from a gift card to buy two flights for later this summer, saving $900. I'll take it!
- Also travel related, used a 10% off promo code for a flight for our family relay (assuming it happens, with COVID). This is our last year, so we're hoping it occurs. We are all double vaccinated. I used travel credit for the rest of the cost.
- I'm working on cutting down on our usage of plastic wrap. I ordered a set of silicon covers, and took advantage of a new customer offer, and free shipping, saving $10.
- I noticed that the local grocery store was having a gift card offer with Home Depot. I bought gift cards (we use them frequently for house projects) & earned $30 in grocery store rewards
- Used a $10 credit to buy a Father's Day gift for M
- Took Sam out to Chiptole, after a long week of soccer camp & soccer practices. Finally used the $1 or so remaining on my Chipotle gift card. It's now out of my purse!
- It continues to be a slow week, and I'm ramping down sales in advance of a vacation. But, a few things here & there. I sold:
- A set of 3 blank VHS tapes (new in sealed wrappers). Who knew these were still a thing?
- An outgrown hoodie
- A wand topper, from the days we used to go to Great Wolf Lodge. I had no idea I still had this, but discovered it while cleaning out an ignored drawer.
- A sweater I never wear
- Earned a $5 Paypal offer by downloading the app. It covered postage for an eBay sale.
- Used additional travel credits for my flight to pick up the boys from my parents house later in the summer, with $0 out of pocket
- Picked up two PE uniforms for school, off of Buy Nothing. It looks like I'll only have to buy one extra set per kid, saving me about $30.
- Neither of the kids have flip flops (long since outgrown). I considered picking up a cheap pair for summer, but didn't feel great about that. As we were going through M's stuff, we discovered two like new pair of flip flops. One pair fit Sam. Nick opted to wear slides for our trip, and doesn't like flip flops. Great! No out of pocket spent needed. I'll list the other pair on eBay, as they are an expensive brand & no longer made.
- I took Nick to Starbucks to use a gift card he'd received (for his 8th grade graduation). I was hungry, hadn't made lunch, & was very tempted to buy lunch out. Instead, I came home & had a burger out of the freezer.
Eating what we have
- They are not my favorites, but the boys don't like a granola (purchased to top yogurt) & granola bars I bought a while back. I've been slowing working my way through them.
- We continue to eat a lot from the garden: spinach, kale, radishes, carrots, zucchini, mint, basil. I can't wait for the tomatoes & peppers to really start producing.
- Gave away a bunch on Buy Nothing
- A very fancy dress from the way back time machine, when I was *ahem* much younger & could wear a dress without a bra
- Swim goggles, two sets of snorkel gear
- Swim trunks & a swim shirt
- I accidentally bought two yearbooks for Nick (speaking of frugal fails). I even checked my budget spreadsheet & tried to get a hold of someone to find out. Somehow, still ended up with two. Another mom offered to buy it from me, but I was happy just to give it to someone who would use it. As a thank you, she made a donation to the school PTO. Win/win.
- Gave away lots of zucchini to friends, neighbors, & everyone who was picking up items on Buy Nothing ;-)