Just a few thoughts on how much I'm enjoying sharing right now, & how much positive energy it brings into your life. Despite all of the chaos of the day to day, it really cheers me up & makes me happy. A few recent examples.
Buy Nothing Group:
- I've been giving a ton of stuff away on Buy Nothing, and it feels so nice to make someone else happy, provide utility to others, and get stuff we don't need out of our house. I feel like I'm really on top of decluttering, but there's always more. I swear that stuff multiplies. Pool toys, goggles, snorkel gear, swim trunks & shirts, hoodies, soccer gear, food we won't eat, etc.
- On the reverse side, I was able to pick up two P.E. uniforms from a mom I'd never met, who lives two blocks away. She didn't want them to go to waste (hear, hear) & I would have had to buy them for the boys .I'll probably end up buying them each one extra set, because...laundry. But, we kept useful items in circulation, instead of in a junk pile.
- Those of you who have grown zucchini before can sympathize with my plight. There are SO MANY. And, we're heading out of town on vacation soon, and won't be here to eat lots of zucchini. I've been giving these away left & right. Friends, neighbors, strangers picking up stuff on my porch from Buy Nothing, etc. (All with permission, of course.) Not as many people garden in my neighborhood, so people are thrilled to have the free fresh produce.
- On the flip side, sharing begets more sharing. Two neighbors who took zucchini dropped off items for us (unexpectedly). One was a Persian yogurt dish M hadn't had since childhood. Another dropped off fresh lemons. What a treat.
- I helped out with reviewing a project for the non-profit I volunteer for, which should help accelerate the program. It feels great that, what takes me not much time, is a skill someone else really needs right now.
- Likewise, I'm volunteering with a few groups at work: new interns, mentoring through a diversity program, etc. It's so much fun to be able to answer questions & help direct people when they are overwhelmed, or need guidance.
I'd love to hear any examples of sharing & happiness from you! We all need more positives in our lives.