Sunday, June 6, 2021

Weekend happenings

 It's been a good weekend so far, with beautiful weather & enough activities to keep everyone busy, without being overwhelming.


I got a few things done yesterday:

  • Went for a run
  • Took Sam to a soccer scrimmage (got in a bonus walk during warm ups)
  • Attempted to drop off books at the library for donation. They must have adjusted their hours again, so I'll need to try again another day.
  • Booked (different) COVID test appointments for our Hawaii trip, and cancelled the previous ones. I'm happy I found an alternative, as it will save me ~90 minutes of driving 
  • Got the majority of items packed for our trip. I like to lay things out, & get as much as possible done ahead. Then, right before the trip, I just pack the items we need this week.
  • I drank a margarita by the pool with M. He's been working on his homemade "skinny" margarita recipe, and it was delicious. 
  • As part of the Hawaii packing, I discovered a bunch of outgrown swim goggles, & two snorkel sets in our pool bin. Gave those away on Buy Nothing. 
  • Packaged & mailed an eBay sale
  • Did a little bit of gardening. Items I picked yesterday, below. (Spinach, kale, radishes, two types of basil, & three zucchini)
  • Booked a bunch of summer travel. I'm thrilled that traveling will be happening again this summer!




Today is going to be a bit cooler, with a high in the mid-70s. Sounds pretty perfect to me. I'm off of cooking duty this weekend, as M made ribs last night, and I cheated & bought potato salad at Costco. It was pretty good, so I'll give it a pass. Tonight he's making barbecued chicken, so will have that with the leftover potato salad. And, he went a little crazy with the fruit purchases this week. Last week, we ran out of fruit half way through the week. Our kids do love fruit. Let's see if we can get through everything purchased this week (all bought at Costco, for size scale): apples, blueberries x3, raspberries, strawberries, nectarines x2, peaches, watermelon. One container of blueberries is wrapped up, but it will be a challenge to finish all of that before our trip. Fingers crossed. Whenever we run out, M panics & overbuys the following week. :-) 

Here's what I need to get done today:
  • Make zucchini muffins
  • Nick - math tutoring (the last one of the year, and he's thrilled)
  • Both boys - tennis
  • Clean out the remainder of the pool bin (there was a lot in there, and it all needs to be pulled out, cleaned, organized, some items tossed/donated, etc)
  • Work out
  • Make the schedule for the week (it's a wild one, with a bunch of family stuff)
  • Make a workout schedule for the week
  • Talk to our neighbor about aphid infestation
  • Clean solar panels
That's it. What about you? What are you up to today?

14 comments:

  1. Love all your fresh produce. You can freeze the blueberries if you don't use it all before your trip. I use the frozen ones in smoothies, muffins and pancakes. I bought 4 pints of blueberries last week. I'ts my favorite berry.

    You sound a lot like me :) I'm a planner and I like to start packing at least a week before we travel. I don't like the stress of doing things last minute. Enjoy your day! It's 90F here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blueberries are the one thing I'm not worried about not getting eaten. Half of them are gone already!

      Yes, I love to pack ahead & I'm a serious planner. It's more fun that way, & avoids last minute drama.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like things are going excellent! I love that you are getting such nice harvests from your garden. A lot of those fruits can be frozen if you don't use them all up - great for smoothies. I hope you are able to get everything on your list done today. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will definitely freeze the leftovers. Nick drinks a smoothie with breakfast almost every morning. Hope you have a great week as well!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've gotten a lot done already. Your trip sounds exciting. I'm glad you are getting to travel again this summer too. We are having BBQ chicken for dinner too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I hope your barbecued chicken is great. I was craving it, and have asked M for weeks to make it. Finally, it's happening! :-)

      Delete
  4. I know you are excited about the trip! If you don't finish all the blueberries beforehand wash and dry them, stick them on a cookie sheet until they are frozen and then store them individually frozen in a freezer container.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blueberries are least at risk of needing to be frozen. Those are the kids favorites, and I believe two of the three containers are already gone (that's 4 lbs of blueberries!)

      We are looking forward to it, but my parents are the most excited. It's been their dream to go to Hawaii with the kids. So happy we can make it happen!

      Delete
  5. You know yesterday I did nothing and it was great! But today it is church cooking and cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone needs those days of doing nothing. I'm with you!

      Delete
  6. Blueberries disappear quickly here, like you it is one thing that goes quickly in this house.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always count on the blueberries to go quickly. The rest is a bit more hit & miss. I'm doing my part, & eating the fruit no one seems to like this week - apricots, namely.

      Delete
  7. My son graduated from H.S. Saturday. My last child off to college in the fall, bitter sweet! We also had family over for a after grad lunch party. It's going to be in the 90's all week in Minnesota, so off to the lake for next weekend! We too love fruit in our house and have it well stocked. I'm envious of all your home grown veggies. We have a garden growing just chives. Attempting to grow herbs and tomatoes in pots on our deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting, and you're right - what a milestone for your family! The weather is good here for veggie growing right now, but we definitely need more rain. I'm nervous about fire season already.

      Delete