Most of my wins feel like they happened in the kitchen this week. The motto for my week could be using up food waste, & mentoring. It's not a very catchy slogan, though. ;-) It's funny how things tend to group up in certain weeks.
Saving on things we buy
- Used a gift card (that earned grocery store rewards) to offset about half the cost of a flight for a planned girls trip next spring.
- I still haven't been adding new things to eBay, but I sold a workout tank top from the beach house.
- I received a free 60 minute massage from work. I combined that with meeting a friend for lunch (food at lunch is still free, but I'm rarely there) & charged the electric car for free as well. Triple win! I did tip the masseuse out of pocket, but all in all, it was a very frugal afternoon.
- Fetch had an offer on Klondike ice cream bars (100% free), so I picked some up at the grocery store. They are a fun treat for the kids. It was also triple points day at the grocery store, so I earned a small amount of extra rewards from the freebie.
- Nick made a loaf of homemade bread, to go with our beef stew for dinner.
Eating what we have
- We (well, mostly me) valiantly ate through the bits & bobs in the fridge, after having guests. Garlic bread, manicotti, bagged salad, a tiny portion of pasta, chicken tenders, frozen lasagna, etc. It makes me happy when we minimize waste.
- We ate the first round of four delicious pomegranates from the garden
- I made a bunch of meals, using veggies that were getting close to needing to be tossed: beef stew, chicken & dumplings, & a bolognese sauce
- I used leftover pot roast (freezer) for the beef stew meat. We weren't a fan of it in its original form, but loved it in the stew.
- I used abundant garden tomatoes in both the beef stew & the bolognese
- I defrosted pumpkin puree to use in a batch of pumpkin muffins. Now it's time to again roast & process our Halloween pumpkins.
- I used grilled tomatoes (then frozen) leftover from kebab nights to stretch out the leftover bolognese sauce into a second meal. Also added three fresh tomatoes that needed to be used, and tossed in some meatballs. I froze the tomatoes because I didn't want to waste them, but had no good ideas at the time I froze them. Glad they were used, & out of the freezer.
- Helped my non-profit with a project
- Attended a kick off for my mentorship with an Afghani woman who is relocating
- Started mentoring someone at work