Sunday, May 29, 2022

Sunday Things

Yesterday was a good, if expensive, kind of day. I was less productive than I'd expected, but mostly because the boys had a great time bowling, & playing ping pong, & I was out with them a bit longer. It was a well earned break from finals studying. Sam is left with one more final (honors chem), one big essay, and his final presentation in business. Nick has just one final to go. Hurrah.

M & I went to dinner, and had a fabulous time. However, we were stunned by the price. We've been to this restaurant numerous times, and it's always been on the expensive side. I'd say it was 60% more expensive, which we totally weren't expecting. They have also cut two of the cheapest menu items off altogether. We loved it, but I don't think we'll be back. It was just too much for the price. Luckily, the food was great, and it was super enjoyable, so it can be a nice close to our memories of the place.

I juiced all of the oranges yesterday, to set myself up for muffin making today. I've made the muffins, and rice krispie treats. I also went to the store & picked up what we needed for our meals this weekend. 




Here's what I'm planning to get up to today:

  • Freeze (most of) the muffins
  • Go to a workout class with a friend
  • Get a pedicure (before Hawaii). 
  • Laundry. Because, of course
  • Pack for Hawaii
  • Work with the boys on their schedule for the week, as M is traveling & I need to figure out logistics
  • Take Nick to/from a tennis tournament
  • Potentially go to Trader Joes or the produce stand
  • Make a big salad, and trim the lettuce
  • Cut down the cilantro & parsley. It's out of control
  • Pick some lemons off of our Meyer Lemon tree
  • Water the plants
  • Help lazy teens with finals prep
  • Read by the pool
  • Write out two graduation cards & add money
That's it from my side. What about you? What are you hoping to accomplish today?

8 comments:

  1. Prices are going up, alas. But if they were already expensive, did they need to raise prices, you think? Otherwise glad you're having a good Sunday thus far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not in the restaurant business, so I don't feel like I have a good benchmark. Surely food prices & labor have gone up, but proportionally, the increases at this restaurant really stand out compared to other places.

      Delete
  2. Everything is becoming so expensive these days. Some prices change from one week to another. I did four loads of laundry today. That is all I have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed at a small BBQ joint we frequent, smoked chicken wings (6 0f them) have jumped from 8 bucks to 14. I think it is not only the food costs but also the increase in labor costs.
    Hope you get all your ducks in a row before the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true - the cost of food, plus labor is a really big challenge for the restaurant business.

      Delete
  4. I'm starting to think price increases are a response to hype somewhere, and then they perpetuate the hype. When I hear record profits from some major industries, I hold them responsible for causing the inflation and passing on the pain. 60% is quite an increase for a restaurant even with their costs increasing. Maybe they're trying to get profit back after Covid impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this restaurant struggled during COVID, so I'm sure it's a combination of all of those factors: labor increases, food costs, making up for COVID, etc.

      Delete