Saturday, June 11, 2022

Saturday Happenings

It's been a busy day around here, with lots going on & plenty of chores, catching up from being out of town last weekend. 

I set the alarm this morning, so I could make Sam breakfast & wake him up for a ride to a soccer tournament. His friend's mom picked him up at 7:20, so it was an early start to the day.

I worked out this morning, and ran a few errands (Costco & the grocery store, plus a couple of stops for Nick to get some new clothes/shoes). The price of groceries! Oh my. I'm usually not at Costco (that's M's job), so I was blown away by the price increases since I've last been there.

Nick has grown another few inches, and slimmed down even more (all of that tennis, plus a growth spurt), so he needed a few additional items. 

Nick & I had just finished unloading the car, and my friend called. Sam's buddy was injured during the game (broke two bones in his wrist) & I needed to come pick up Sam & another player. The field was about an hour away, and I got there just as the whistle was blowing at the end of the game. I feel terrible for Sam's friend, who is spending the afternoon at the ER, as the local urgent care couldn't set the bones. The poor kid is in a ton of pain, and it's a lengthy wait. 

Sam & the other friend I picked up were exhausted & dehydrated, as they ended up not having any subs, and had played two full games in 90+ degree weather. We stopped at 7-Eleven for drinks, as I didn't have time to pack anything from home. Everyone was a bit more enthusiastic after they'd hydrated a bit.

Nick is helping out his tennis coach today (and, potentially for a few other weeks this summer), as the coach needs to rest up after surgery. Nick is fetching balls, and keeping an eye on some of the younger age group lessons, which the coach really appreciated, as it's so hot here. Having a teen to run around for you would definitely make the lessons easier!

I'm planning on staying cool for the rest of the day, catching up on laundry, watering the plants, and making an easy dinner. Otherwise, I need to start working on a few packing lists, have the boys help me make Father's Day cards, & the like.

And, another of my favorite Hawaiian flowers. Dreaming of last weekend, on the beach!


What are you up to today?


5 comments:

  1. Im still doing the overwhelming purging and feels like no progress is made, but if course there is. I get paralysis throwing things. Your boys poor friend. Likely the end of his summer season too. Good that Sam and the other boy felt better after hydrating. I remember those days where keeping them hydrated was the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purging really is overwhelming. I did a great job during the first year of WFH, but then lost steam. I suppose it's also fair to say that all of the easier stuff is gone. I got rid of a ton of clothes, and have slowly added a few things I really liked in place of those items. Not nearly at the same volume, but just a few things here & there that are better fitting, etc.

      I feel terrible that his friend is going to have the entire summer with a broken wrist. That's no fun at all.

      And yes, hydrating was a huge challenge with the weather today. That much soccer in that heat is exhausting. He hasn't moved much from his bed since we got home. ;-)

      Delete
  2. So glad you recognized the need to hydrate, that is so important, and I don't think kids think about it. I just did a juice run for the theater, lots of cold drinks, and chai teas. Everyone down there is worked to death and it is hot and sticky work. It was really all I could do for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of mine are pretty good with standard hydration, as they play a lot of sports. But, none of us are used to the 95+ degree weather. Working out in that weather, for any period of time, is really hard on your body.

      That's so nice that you were able to bring drinks to the theater!

      Delete
  3. Good thing you got both boys hydrated in this hot weather after their game. It’s so important. The price of groceries has me thinking twice about a lot of it, looking for sale items mostly, and just trying to keep our costs as low as we can during these trying times.

    ReplyDelete