Saturday, August 12, 2023

Saturday Happenings

I can't get Maui off of my mind. I feel terrible for everyone there, and I'm just so sad about the devastation, & loss of life. Maybe because I'm very familiar with the area, it feels so real. 

Work has been very, very busy & my anxiety has been higher than usual. I really need to make time to meditate, which is always helpful, but somehow falls to the bottom of my list. I also have a huge meeting coming up on Monday, so I'll be happy when that's wrapped up.

On the family side, this is a super busy time of year. The boys are getting ready to go back to school, and getting all of the school stuff sorted out & ASB cards ordered, schedules managed, booking a last minute business trip to Japan (more on that another time) & I've been feeling overwhelmed. I'm also in the final stages of relay prep (it's at the end of the month) & staying trained & preparing for that is also top of mind. 

My to do list was so long yesterday that I ended up making a second list half way through the day, to keep me focused on the remaining items I could accomplish. I did make a lot of progress, although never as much as I'd hoped! 

Here's what's on the agenda for today, with some slipping to tomorrow:

  • It's my running break day, so I'm going to a workout class. The class involves about 2 miles of running, but that's a break compared to my other training days. And, there will be rowing & strength training, so it will be a nice mix. 
  • Sam has two tournament games today, so attend at least one, hopefully both.
  • M is grilling burgers, & hitting up Costco. We need everything, as the boys cleaned us out of basically all fresh food. We were getting desperate last night, so I was grateful for all of the garden tomatoes & strawberries! 
  • Work on packing list for relay. There's not much space in the van, and you need a bunch of odd stuff. The weather is also super unpredictable, and you are running at all possible times of night/day, so you need things like head lamps, warm clothes, clothes for hot weather, etc. 
  • Order all of boys stuff for orientation: parking permits, ASB cards, picture order forms. The website wasn't working yesterday, so fingers crossed that I can check this off today.
  • I'm going to go to Trader Joes, to pick up other grocery items. 
  • Clean bathrooms
  • Package/mail eBay
  • File USPS claim for lost eBay item
  • File all receipts, run budget numbers
  • Look into car insurance
  • Clean kitchen
  • Vacuum
  • Duolingo
  • Stretch 
  • Meditate
What about you? What are you up to today?

8 comments:

  1. So terrible about Maui, my daughter, who spent five yrs in the Pacific Fleet Band, is so upset about Maui and the folks there. I so understand about work stress. I thought you were not going to have to fly to Japan anymore but you do what you have to do. I am doing things I didn’t think I would have to do anymore also. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just devastating to think about.

      For work, we went through a big change that made my experience much more valuable to the organization, & solved a few things that weren't working for me. Due to budget constraints, I'm only signed up for 4 international work trips/year. I'm actually skipping one London trip in place of Tokyo, due to some drama.

      At this point, I have no idea how much longer I'll stay. I can leave at any time, and we'll be fine financially. On the flip side, in six months, I"ll know where Sam is going to college, and how much that will cost, and it will be nice to work with actual numbers. Ditto 18 months out for Nick.

      Delete
  2. I admire your commitment to the relay and am rooting you on! I should be doing more than I am, but got dog food bought, retuned a key, tidied up a couple areas. I should get outside and weed so it doesn't take over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how I feel about my commitment at this point, but last long run is now complete! There are moments that I feel way too old, and other days that I remind myself that these types of things are what keep me young! Both of the boys are impressed with me, which is rare ;-)

      Good work on progress!

      Delete
  3. I am so in awe of what you are able to accomplish in a weekend! Admittedly I am probably 25 years older than you, but I don't think I could have managed the load you do when I was your age. Have you ever thought about writing a time management post, not to mention an energy management post?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really think of myself as terribly productive, but will give it some thought. Maybe some of the things I take for granted would be new tips/tricks for others. Let me see what I can come up with!

      Delete
  4. Trying to get as much of the garden harvested as is possible before our trip to Alaska.... So far so good. Problem is finding ways to use all the produce up.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So envious of your trip to Alaska! I'd love to hear more about - sounds fabulous.

      Good luck with using up all of your garden produce.

      Delete