Sunday, August 13, 2023

Sunday Things

 The weekend has whizzed by. I haven't been drinking much/if at all this summer, as it isn't a great mix for me with the running. But, in celebration of finishing my last long run of the training cycle, I'm having a glass of delicious chardonnay today. 

I managed to get *almost* everything done on my to do list. I'll need to vacuum after work tomorrow, and deal with USPS & our car insurance.

I spent a chunk of unexpected time today helping my parents with some flight changes (due to the Maui fires), and got them all sorted out. I also took over prepping M's special chicken recipe, as he spent most of today helping our neighbor install a new garage door opener. She is in her 80s, and appreciates the help so much. I had no idea how much work M's chicken recipe is, and now I have a new appreciation for the time he spends on it!

I also had to go back to a mall (drat) to exchange a pair of shoes for Sam, and pick up a few other back to school items. My two teens could not be more different. Nick loves everything about shoes, clothes, cologne, style... He spends a lot of his own money on those things. Sam wears 8 year old shorts from Costco, and despite my best effort, will not upgrade! He recently allowed us (me + Nick) to choose a few "cooler" clothing items for him, and when he ripped his only pair of shoes, he also allowed us to pick a few slightly nicer pairs. They make me laugh, with their very distinct approaches to dressing. 

What is everyone else up to today? Hope your weekend was a lovely mix of productive & relaxing!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish I could enjoy chardonnay, but by my second sip, I become nauseous. It's a shame, because it's so warm, and drinking a merlot outside on the patio isn't as enjoyable as drinking a chilled chardonnay. Actually, I don't drink much of anything besides merlot for that reason--though mimosas on Christmas morning are a must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also do mimosas on Christmas morning! Have you tried rose'? My friend also can't drink chardonnay, but loves other whites (pinot grigio, sauvignon blanc)... If those don't bother you, they are a better warm weather option.

      Delete
    2. Sadly, it's all white wines/sweet drinks. I can't even bear to smell my husband's sangria without experiencing a dry heave. It's a fairly new phenomenon...past 10 years or so. I've tried the chilled reds, even, and the same thing--I literally cannot stomach them. We buy a brut for Christmas, and spring for a fairly nice one, the ilk of Tattinger or Veuve Clicquot--it's not unusual for me to buy my Christmas champagne in mid-January on clearance! We serve them with fresh bagels and smoked salmon. One year, when the kids were smaller, we didn't buy the salmon, as they NEVER ate it, and you wouldn't believe the outrcy from a 6 year-old--enough to send DH to the local store for a box. One year, we forgot orange juice, so had champagne cocktails, as it was snowing too hard to drive anywhere. That was the year I refer to as "drunk by lunchtime, hungover by dinner." (Kidding.)

      Delete
    3. Oh, that sucks! I love that you have traditions that, even if everyone doesn't love each food element, they *need* to be present to make it an occasion! The kids are attached to traditions :-)

      We once had an Easter where I didn't eat anything before mimosas, and I swear it was as you described. Champagne can really knock you for a loop if you're not careful.

      Delete