Monday, August 28, 2023

No menu plan, but an update

Starting off with the positives - I completed my relay & had an awesome time with the best group of van mates you could ever ask for! It was a fun & supportive bunch.

My first leg was near Boring, OR & was not only incredibly hot (90, and 100 on the pavement), it was also high AQI thanks to a nearby wildfire. That run was by far the most challenging for me, and way hillier than expected, with a lot more elevation than described in the course guide. When I could see my team waiting for me at the top of the last hill, I almost cried, I was so grateful. 

My second leg was at night, as we moved closer to the Oregon coast. It was the "very hard" leg, and lived up to its reputation. Tons & tons of very steep hills, but I was lucky that it was paved. The guy who I handed off to ran a very similar leg, on gravel, which is just so much harder to run on. I appreciated the cool temperature so much, but running at night with a head lamp & on pitch black road (this was WAY out in the country) freaked me out a little. I was worried about falling, but made it happen.

My last leg was the easiest of the bunch, and the first leg that I finished below my expected pace time. The other two I came in around 10 seconds over. I was ever so grateful to be done, and my quads were killing me, as I wrapped up the last mile (on a huge incline, because of course).

On the bad news, I felt terrible starting on Thursday, tested for COVID before I left. I was negative, but got progressively worse throughout the weekend. It was only thanks to TheraFlu, and lots of cough drops & tea that I finished at all. Came home last night, and tested positive. I feel terrible for all of my van mates, and my parents, who we met for brunch yesterday. I picked up COVID at the work offsite we had last week, which apparently became a super spreader event. 

I'm so happy I finished, but really want to do it again. I was well trained, but all of the training in the world couldn't overcome how fatigued I was. I felt like I was running in slow motion, even though I was giving it 100% effort. I'd love to run again, when I'm feeling at my peak. We're discussing signing up again next year, and/or finding a one day event, and adding a half in for 2024. 

And, no cooking or menu plan for me this week. I'm isolating in one bedroom, to hopefully avoid spreading this to M & the boys. 

Stay healthy out there, everyone!

20 comments:

  1. Glad your race was successful, but so sorry for Covid. I know it is spreading here again. Hope you feel much better soon._________ Anne in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to try & work a half day today. I took a 3 hour nap yesterday (I only nap when I'm really sick), so I think that helped. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. Feel better soon! Paxlovid?
    Sounds like your race legs went really; 10 seconds off when you were terribly under the weather (and in the heat) is amazing and then beating your expected time on the last leg. If it were me, I would be basking in the glow of my accomplishment! Rachael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so disappointed that I trained for months & didn't run the race I wanted to, but you are absolutely right, I"m grateful to have finished given the circumstances. I'll have to do it again!

      Delete
  3. Covid is everywhere here. I am back to being masked at work, grocery store, etc. Hope you feel better soon. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to start testing weekly again (I'm required to be in the office 3x/week) & masking at work. Stay safe!

      Delete
  4. Oh, next time...if you are feeling badly DON'T RUN THE RACE. Geez...it is a voluntary activity.... Even if it wasn't Covid, it can't be good for your body to push it so much when you are sick. I'm thankful that most people have had the vaccine, but for those of us with loved ones who are immune-compromised, it is frightening. You didn't have to run the race...you didn't have to get in the van...you didn't have to spread the virus around. You could have stayed home and read a book... Sorry...I know this is too late. But I'm sad that you put people at risk for a 'fun challenge'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned, I tested before I left, and got progressively worse as we went on. I wouldn't have participated (OF COURSE) had I known I had COVID.

      Delete
  5. Hope that your case of Covid is not really bad. We are heading on a cruise next week and I have learned that many people returning from cruises have tested positive for Covid once home. Keeping my fingers crossed and masks at the ready.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed for you that your cruise is amazing, and you stay healthy!

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry you're not well. I had several days of testing leading up to a family event. Felt like normal August allergies but as Covids on the upswing felt I should make sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll go back to weekly testing for a while, and also wearing a mask to larger team events. We briefly went back to a "normal" phase there, of not doing either, but lesson learned on that front.

      Delete
  7. Commenting for the first time. First, great job on your run. :) Next, it is NOT your fault for getting COVID and exposing others. You did the responsible thing by testing before you went. I also got COVID last week for the first time and went into work exposing everyone. I also tested that morning (negative) and thought it was my allergies. I teach Kindergarten and so my exposure is very high but again we can only do our best given the information that we have at the time. Liz from Central CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. We have do operate based on the information we have. I think it's safe to say none of us are intentionally spreading COVID, and are doing what we can to be responsible. Getting into a van with five other people at this phase means you know you are taking on some risks, even if everyone is as responsible as possible.

      Hope you feel better! And, you also did your part - you tested & went in when it was negative.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you were able to complete you race. Hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I"m definitely trending in the right direction, particularly after getting a lot of sleep.

      Delete
  9. Kudos to you for finishing your race when feeling so awful! You can't blame yourself for exposing the others; you did the responsible thing and tested. We can only do what we can with the information given. I hope you're starting to feel better this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's always hard to know where to draw the line, and so many things are really just minor colds (those still exist!) & how to be cautious & thoughtful while continuing to live our lives.

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh, that race sounds so hard! Kudos to you and your teammates for finishing. I'm so sorry you have Covid, no wonder you felt so fatigued. I hope you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun, but would have been quite a bit better without being sick! Thank you. I can't wait to do it again, when I'm feeling better & have more energy. I was dragging so hard, and now that part makes a lot more sense. ;-)

      Delete