Friday, September 20, 2019

Frugal Friday


It was a really busy week, with me back to work. I also had multiple meetings with Asia, which means late nights. It wasn't the most enjoyable week, as I'm dealing with some conflict between team members. But, it's Friday! That's all I can say about it.

Here are a few frugal wins for the week.



Saving on things we buy

  • Used the $6 grocery store reward (that I had on another Frugal Friday, as the store didn't properly credit me when I redeemed it, and I had to track it down). Bought ingredients for Nick's cooking experiments. He's been making smoothies & pizza bread as part of his cooking class. I'm trying not to cringe at his recipes & instead let him experiment in the kitchen. I want him to enjoy baking/cooking as much as possible. 
  • Our refi is final approved! We signed on Tuesday. Saving on a "thing" we buy, just our house. ;-) 


Earning money

  • Continued to participate in consumer focus group. Not enough to cash out yet, but hopefully in the next few weeks
  • I discovered that the extra insurance I purchased for my stolen item was from eBay vs the post office (this is next to impossible to find out) & I happened upon a search that yielded the right help answer in eBay. They make it really difficult to find this. I received a $190 refund by filling out a quick form & already have the money back in Paypal. Now, keep in mind the item was lost & I made no money on the transaction, but now at least I will not have paid out of pocket when I refunded the buyer. Phew!
  • Found $.01 on the ground at work. I know, I know. We're going to be able to buy a coffee soon with all of this spare cash. ;-) 
  • Sold another item on eBay. 


Avoiding purchasing/spending

  • Bought a Starbucks gift card for $87 ($100 value) & will get a small discount via Rakuten. I use Starbucks while traveling & get reimbursed for work expenses. 
  • Made my own pesto, hummus & pico de gallo last weekend, vs store purchases
  • Planned ahead & figured out lunch options vs eating out between soccer games
  • Hosted at our house vs going out with M's cousins on Sunday

What about you? Any frugal wins for the week?

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your refi was approved. Glad to hear your money was refunded on the ebay sale. Sounds like a busy week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only spent money on actual bills (ie gas bill, healthcare bill), groceries ($58), used a GC for takeout, saved $16 per month on our cell bills by renegotiating part of our contract as they had too much data (a company expense but since we own the company I treat it as such), renegotiated the cable bill down about $15 a month. Bought a $60 wax warmer called Scentsy off our bidding site for $5 (I have one, wanted a second, also got all the was for $10 about 6 months ago, enough for a year or two). Drank my own bottled wine and zero trips to the liquor store. That's all I've got lol. Nothing beats your Refi savings though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Went for a weekend at brothers, did not eat dinner out once and girlfriend paid for my meal one time. So came home with cash!

    ReplyDelete