Friday, February 26, 2021

Frugal Friday

It's been a really busy week at work, so I haven't had much time to focus on frugal things. The biggest win is that my persistence paid off, and I'll be receiving a $2k credit for our cancelled ski passes. I sent 12 emails that went unanswered before I took it up with our credit card company, who intervened on my behalf. 

Saving on things we buy

  • Used $14 of grocery store rewards for a few fill in purchases we needed (almond milk, Greek yogurt, frozen fruit & tortillas). I spent $9.47 out of pocket, and earned $.10 back on the milk from iBotta. 
  • Found a slightly cheaper option for our Hawaii hotel (COVID tentative trip this summer)

Earning money

  • Cashed our credit card reward check ($1,643) & will apply it to our mortgage
  • Uploaded receipts to Fetch
  • It's been a quiet phase for eBay, and no sales of any real size, but slow trickles. Here's what I've sold this week:
    • A fridge magnet for a sports team
    • An outgrown winter jacket
    • An Ikea kids desk chair (local message board sale)
    • A running jacket M doesn't wear

Avoiding spending

  • I was pretty busy this week at work, so can't think of anything in particular that I avoided spending on. 

Eating what we have

  • Used leftover takeout fried rice (from Sam's birthday dinner), to make breakfast fried rice (adding eggs & bacon) for myself & Sam one morning. Yum!
  • We ended up with multiple packs of crushed red pepper & parmesan cheese after a lunch out last weekend, so I added the crushed pepper to our spice container (which holds the same) & Nick used the parmesan cheese on pasta.
  • Nick made a Hello Fresh of apricot chicken, roasted broccoli & ginger rice. M can't eat rice, so he ate the chicken & broccoli, Sam at the full meal, & I added the rice to some leftover gyro meat the boys had the night before. I also topped it with the goat cheese crostini spread that I'm still trying to work through. 
  • I made a couple of taco salads for lunches, and added a spicy bulgur dish that came with a Hello Fresh meal
  • Likewise, I saved a portion of a "Firecracker" meatball, rice & carrot dish & had it for lunch. This saves on calories & helps the meals go further. 

For others

  • Volunteering at work (I have several of these projects, but this time of the year is when I help the most, as it's our performance review time.) I am spending 5-10 extra hours/week helping people navigate different challenges. It's always very rewarding.
  • Helping my volunteer job with a technical problem. Despite this not being my area of expertise, it's no ones, given the small team size, so everyone's help is welcome.

That's it from my side. What about you? Any frugal wins, or things for others to share?

8 comments:

  1. Another great week for you.
    For years I have been eating leftovers for lunch. It is rarely what I really want, but it's food so it's fine. It really is a budget builder. the only time I actually purchase anything for a lunch meal is on the weekend. TheHub eats lunch out every day during the workweek and has something different each day. He tends to want to continue that practice on the weekends, but without going out to eat. It means I have to have something on hand specifically for lunch. If he makes a turkey sandwich on Saturday, he has to have hammer grilled cheese for a Sunday sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is picky in different ways, and isn't a huge leftover fan. To keep the peace, I make modifications or get creative with repurposing things.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I cannot believe the ski company didn't answer 12 emails! Kudos to you for going thru the cc company. I love that you are getting a $2K credit.

    That is a huge credit card reward check! Good planning on your part to pay it towards your mortgage. My income tax refund will be coming on Monday and I plan to pay it straight to my credit card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually the insurance company of the ski resort - they had to add COVID coverage this year, and the insurance company is really dragging their heels to pay out their claims, because many people couldn't ski due to a variety of reasons.

      Yes, we have the Costco rewards card, and it offers generous rewards & we try to put every purchase possible on it! We did a lot of remodeling in 2020, so all of that is counted in the rewards (well, the supplies, not the labor). Great plan for your tax refund!

      Delete
  3. Steady tiny steps and too much waste this week, but I have a fresh start, right. I realize with not driving to work , our credit card points are significantly down-gas is triple points, so not as much cash back. I'd rather not spend to begin with so call this a win, but getting that check is nice. We'll have some rewards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, spending less means less perks, but more money for you! I don't miss international work travel at all, but the perks were nice!

      Delete
  4. I did all my usually things, but Hubs laughed when I cleaned the fridge and added several taco sauce packets to my jar of salsa and then shook it up. Hey why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally do that. More because I hate waste, but yes! Waste not, want not. :-)

      Delete