Sunday, February 14, 2021

Happy Valentine's Day - the teen boy edition

 I have two teen boys at my house (one turning 15 this week, the other turning 14 just after him), and Valentine's Day these days looks a bit different than those in my 20s. My birthday & Valentine's Day are very close together, so I've done lots of long weekends & ski trips to celebrate. M & I once had the absolute best ski in/ski out trip to Whistler, with a stop over in Vancouver. Fancy meals, dressing up, fun apres ski, etc. 

Fabulous memories at this point in my life. Last year we were back in Whistler, celebrating with the boys, my parents & my nephew. Another fabulous trip, but slightly less romantic, with all of us sharing a condo. ;-) We're disappointed not to be able to ski this year (M worries he's getting too old to keep up with the boys, so counts every year as a blessing), but keep reminding ourselves that we're reducing risk, so we can enjoy future ski trips. 

Sam's ants migrated from the test tube he brought them home in, to his ant farm/habitat (for those of you that missed the earlier post, this was his birthday gift) & we were all very intrigued to see how the ants explored, leaving the queen behind, then coming back for the larvae, and eventually moving the queen to the stable environment. 

Here's what we have going on today, in the teen boy Valentine's Day edition:

  • I've packaged up treats for the kids, as they'd normally have class parties. My mom sent them cards, which I assume have a small amount of money in them, as she loves doing Valentine's gifts.
  • M got me flowers & chocolates, & a card which while totally unnecessary, was very sweet. 
  • I'll be taking both boys to soccer practice
  • Then taking Nick home for math tutoring, while Sam bikes home
  • Sam will be packaging up the gift he got his girlfriend (a stuffed animal, several types of chocolates, and flowers) & I will take him to the park, so they can have a masked up get together, & then return to take him home after.
  • Nick has tennis lessons this afternoon
  • I'm making a fancier than normal Hello Fresh (steak with roasted veggies) & need to think of what the boys should have. I will for sure have chocolate for dessert, but M doesn't eat sugar of any kind, so that's out for him. 
I'll also be cleaning the house, doing laundry & my normal Sunday chores. As I read on other blogs, Valentine's Day is a nice reminder to thank the people you love, and give a few extra hugs & kisses. It's cute to remember Valentine's Day through the eyes of Sam, with his first girlfriend. I remember being a teen girl, nervous/excited for the day. My, how things have changed! :-) 

5 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day! I like the idea of a reminder to thank the people you love, I need to do that today.

    Your steak dinner sounds like it will be good. We are having an Italian Sausage bake with potatoes and carrots along with a salad.

    And you're right to wait on the skiing, hopefully this will be the last time you have to wait. It's better to avoid the risk for now. Bailey struggles with the depression and waiting too, and I try to build her up when the issue comes up. We will gather again one day hopefully soon. :)

    I hope you enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentine'd Day!
    We spent many years with spring ski trips to Whistler. What a great place to visit.
    BTW waiting on skiing this yeas is the thing to do.
    Does M eat food sweetened with monk fruit? I and an outstanding peanut butter mousse the other day and TheHub who is non-keto loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Valentines day! Lots of chocolate and good food here.

    ReplyDelete