Thursday, July 11, 2024

What is your most common grocery splurge

Just for fun, as I was thinking about this myself yesterday. I'd say our two most commonly purchased grocery items that are not part of a menu plan are.... Persian cucumbers from Trader Joes, and sparkling water. 

Nick eats cucumber every day, if we have it. He loves it with salt, or hummus. He can go through a package of the TJ's cucumbers in one sitting, so it can add up. There is a TJs in the same complex as my workout studio, so I pick him up fresh cucumbers regularly. Sometimes 2x/week. We've had mixed success growing cucumbers in our garden, as a temporary replacement... I'd say we spend $10/week on cucumbers, which is nuts. We would cut that out if we needed to, and some weeks the cucumbers don't look good, and/or I forget to run out & restock. But, I like that his favorite food is a healthy snack, so I do keep them on hand often. Whenever he visits family, they always have a to of cucumber for him. ;-)

Our second splurge is sparkling flavored water (bubly, La Croix, etc). We buy it on sale & stock up when it's at a good discount, but it's still quite pricey. I treat myself to one every day after my workout. I got into this type of drink at work (they were free), so it's my treat to myself to keep them at home. Unfortunately, the teens also love them, so they will definitely go through them frequently, especially in the hot weather. I tend to spend about $6/week on the sparkling water, and again, would/could cut it out if we needed to.

What about you? What's your most frequent "splurge" or regular purchase at the grocery store? 

4 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of sparkling water and keep it here all the time. I could do without it but I don't. TheHub buys protein drinks and has one every morning. Again we could do without them, but currently we do not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite splurge is probably yogurt. I could eat that every day, but try not to as the Greek type I like is pretty costly.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. . . One infrequent splurge is excellent quality aged balsamic vinegar at somewhere around $25 a bottle. I go through one bottle every 6-9 months. I also have a bottle of good quality EVOO at about the same price, that I use to finish off pasta dishes. For sautéing, sauce blending and all other cooking, I use less expensive EVOO from Trader Joe’s.

    More frequent splurges would be A&W Zero Calorie soda, which I enjoy in the evening in place of dessert. Trader Joe Sparkling Water (but so inexpensive at $1.29 a bottle it doesn’t really feel like a splurge), and Trader Joe bean and rice burritos, which I eat frequently for lunch in that they are tasty, quick, and low in calories. (I recently got back to my high school weight and plan to stay there, ha!)

    Funny enough, my young granddaughters are visiting next week and so I’ve been stocking up on things they enjoy as I spot deals. Holy moly, my pantry doesn’t know what to do with all the faux foods it’s now containing. Our normal way of eating is so much healthier and cheaper, lol.

    - Tamara R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice cream for the kids. Wine for me.

    ReplyDelete