Saturday, July 13, 2024

Saturday Things

It's supposed to be a bit cooler today, and then head back into the 70s next week. I'm thrilled about this. High 70s is perfect summer weather for me - cool enough to be able to work in the yard, be outside for any number of activities, & no need for AC. Plus, still feels like summer, garden still grows, you can wear dresses or shorts, but are not sticky hot. Woohoo! The bay area has had 2 weeks of a heat wave, so I'm definitely ready to move on from that!

Sam & I made quite a bit of college progress yesterday. We reviewed some of his to dos, talked about what we still need to buy for the dorms, and we had a couple of our "talks". I have a list of topics to talk about with both boys before they move out. He is a wonderful & patient kid, and even though he is 100% opposed to drugs & alcohol (and, requested the substance free dorm), he listened to my talk about fetanyl, and also how to be on the lookout to take care of other friends, should they choose to drink. He's decided to re-take the math placement test, as he needs to score a couple of points higher to enter at the math level he'd like to be at. He did no studying for the first test, so should be able to improve his score slightly.

I had a recruiting call for a job I applied to yesterday. I wasn't sure about the job, but after the discussion, I'm definitely interested. I give it a 10% chance of panning out into an actual job offer, but I'm happy to have had the chance to learn more about the role, and also to have the opportunity to think more about what I would want from future roles. 

As for today:

  • Meeting a friend for a walk. Still trying to rest my hip, so this should be low impact. I'm excited to catch up with this friend, as she moved to Boulder, and is just in town for a short period of time.
  • Help Nick with essays.
  • Continue working on college stuff with Sam.
  • Daily chores: meditate, Farsi, journal
  • Work in the yard, and help M figure out how to keep the squirrels & rabbits out of our garden. Yesterday they somehow managed to pull an enormous butternut squash off of the vine! I need to set up a video, because I'm fascinated to know how they did it. They must have worked as a team!
  • Pickle jalapenos. The critters do not like the spicy things, so I have a huge abundance of peppers, who have been loving this heat wave.
  • If no one will be home for dinner, date with M. It's always a mystery to know if any teens will be home. Often none. Sometimes one or both, sometimes they bring a friend. Planning meals here is an adventure. ;-) 
  • Apply to a couple of jobs.
  • Stretch & ice my hip
What about you? What are you up to today?

1 comment:

  1. I worked in the garden for a bit until it got too hot. Then enjoyed the cool inside working on the cloth napkins. Still lots to do on those as I can't sit at my machine as long as I used to.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete