Monday, November 13, 2017

My Thanksgiving menu

It's back to work today, after a long weekend (I took Friday off). I always feel so much more refreshed with that bonus day.

I sat down with the kids & M this weekend, & we debated our Thanksgiving menu. As context, it will just be the four of us, and neither of the kids like the traditional menu items much. Also, I have one super picky eater. Here's what we've decided:

Drinks: 
Pomegranate martinis
Sparkling cider

Appetizers:
Goat cheese crostini


Dinner:
Kale salad with toasted nuts, feta cheese, & pomegranate seeds
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Homemade cranberry sauce
Stuffing
A turkey breast (I've never made one, so wish me luck :-))
Mini pigs in a blanket (ha, yes, so traditional)

Dessert:
Pumpkin pie with ice cream

We'll get up in the morning and do a 5K together (our local high school puts one on as a fundraiser), & then I'll get to work in the kitchen. It's usually a relaxing, fun day. Looking forward to spending time with my favorite people.

What about you? Have you made your menu yet? What will you be making or serving on Thanksgiving? Any non-traditional items? :-)

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I'm hoping we have prime rib this year instead of Turkey. I mentioned it to my mother-in-law and I even have the prime rib so I'm hoping. We just don't love turkey even though it's tradition. I would offer to host and cook whatever I want but our house isn't handicap accessible so I can't do that.

    How do you make your pomegranate tinis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge turkey fan, but I don't dislike it either. We'll see what I can come up with this year! :-)

      For the pomegranate drinks, my husband is the mixologist, but Absolut citron, Cointreau, triple sec, pomegranate juice, I believe? Maybe fresh lime as well. I'll ask him & let you know

      Delete
  2. Our menu will be much like yours, other than that my older daughter's boyfriend will be making/bringing the stuffing - he's a wonderful cook! And I do add a little something special to my fresh cranberry relish - a generous dash of Cointreau!

    I'm impressed that your boys will eat goat cheese. Even I still have a bit of a struggle with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! The cranberry relish sounds amazing.

      The kids do eat goat cheese, which is surprising given how picky my youngest is. I've always made crostini, and he used to have his without the spread (goat cheese, lemon juice, thyme & garlic blended together). Maybe 18 months or so ago, he went for it, took a bite, and figured out that he liked it. Now, if only he would try that with other things. ;-)

      Delete
  3. The only "special/traditional" thing we have at Thanksgiving is rutabagas. It's a southern thing though I don't eat them everyone else in my family does....and I'm the Southerner! lolz

    Food tip-Brine your breast to keep it moist.

    I do make either my Great Aunt Ollie's potato rolls(maternal grandfather's sister) or my Great Aunt Lula's sweet rolls(maternal grandmother's sister).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I've ever had rutabagas! Thanks for the turkey tip - I will try a brine. And, rolls. .. hard to go wrong with pure white carbs. YUM! :-)

      Delete