Sunday, November 25, 2018

Thinking of goals for 2019


As I do every year, I'm setting a variety of goals that I'll reflect on & tackle over the course of the year. These are a work in progress, but reflect what I'm currently thinking about for my 2019 goals. 

I like the five buckets I use, as they keep me reasonably in balance. As with everything in life, there are seasons where I spend more time on one bucket vs the other.

1) Financial:
  • Stick to the budget
  • Come up with a "pay off our house" model
  • Every month, come up with a new way to reduce what we need/spend on an ongoing basis.
  • Model out a 3, 5 & 10 year financial plan

2) Family - Spend more time together as a family!
  • Do a minimum of one fun activity/month with the kids. This can be family puzzle night, cooking dinner together, board games, going out somewhere, etc. 
  • Be more present with the kids & M - play games, minimize computer time, exercise together, etc. 
  • Have two dates with M per month

    3) Fitness/health - Lose 15 pounds, bringing my weight to 142ish 
    • Make running a consistent part of my life. Build & follow a training plan, & run a half marathon in under 2:25. 
    • Eat five servings of fruit & vegetables (combined) per day
    • Work out every day in 2019. (Realistically, this will be completing 365 workouts, vs hitting every day. I want a bit of flexibility for days I'm sick, traveling, etc.) 
    • Get back to more actively tracking my calories
    • Complete 10,000 minutes of cardio
    • Complete 100 strength workouts.
    • Complete 75 stretching workouts.

    4) Work/career - Improve my work life balance.
    • Keep better perspective at work/reduce stress (until I leave)
    • Take a sabbatical
    • Decide on returning to work part time

      5) Personal/creative - Spend more time on myself/creative pursuits.
      • Cut my own hair!
      • Make time for my friends. Do something social at least once per month.
      • Volunteer a minimum of 1x/month
      • Write/journal. Time, goal, etc still TBD

      What about you? Are you working on your goals for 2019?

      4 comments:

      1. I too have been thinking about goals-in each of those areas, but first want to make sure December is meaningful (post tomorrow). our goals are practical and seem meaningful base don your collection of posts over the years. I wish you the best in achieving them all.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thanks, Sam! I love the act of planning goals & measuring results. I never achieve all of them, but it gives me something to strive for. I often look back & think about how much of my energy goes towards positive goals, vs frittering away, and it's motivating for sure.

          Delete
      2. I have some health goals. I did 10,000 steps a day last year until I got tendonitis before Europe. Then just when I was starting to get back to 10,000 a day this summer a car accident in October. This last week I managed 3/7 days. Today is a new fit bit week....hoping to hit at least 60,000 steps this week. It takes time to build it back up. Other than that I will continue to save money towards some long-term travel goals that are kind of expensive. Doesn't it feel good to only have one mortgage now? At least you can concentrate on just one goal and trying to lower it as quickly as possible.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. It does feel great to just have the one mortgage, & clear goal for paying it off. Good luck on your steps goal!

          Delete