Here's what we've been up to, in terms of frugal wins this week (and, after reading, Costco factors in quite a bit, somehow :-)):
- My amazing parents are in town, and we pay for their flights & give them spending money & it's still cheaper than putting two kids in camp. And, the kids most definitely prefer this method.
- Rather than ordering takeout on Sunday when we got home later than expected from Napa, we stopped in at Costco and bought dinner ingredients. We ended up with steak, salad & bread. Steak for six is never cheap, but it's made multiple dinners, and was 1/4 of the price of eating out. We also saved some in the freezer.
- M & I almost bought a bunch of wine at a winery, but found it at Costco for less than half of the price. Win!
- We received our Costco executive member rebate of $373, which we will be using to offset the cost of groceries this week. And then some, hopefully.
- We've struggled to get Nick into reading (he can read, of course, but doesn't enjoy it). His reading speed was becoming an issue, given his lack of reading at home, so we made a dedicated effort over the last few weeks to create additional reading time, with rewards. As a result, he's constantly reading. Win! I picked up a few additional books off of the work freebie table, to hopefully keep him going.
- Speaking of reading, my sister shares all of her scifi books with Sam, and my parents dutifully bring them back & forth in their suitcases, so Sam & my sis can share their love of the same series. In other reading related news, my mom & I also exchanged books this time, and I was able to share some of my freebie work books with my dad. I additionally gave a great book that I finally finished (Daring Greatly) with a coworker, who wanted to read it. Frugal reading for the win!
- We opted not to buy the kids Easter gifts this year. They are getting old for that, and my parents are doing an Easter egg hung (candy & money in eggs) this afternoon, so the boys will get their Easter fun in. Instead, we'll make a nice dinner on Sunday, and open up one of our new bottles of wine.
- Oh, & in honor of Sluggy, I found a penny on the ground in a conference room at work. :-)
What about you? Any big or small frugal wins to report?