Monday, April 1, 2019

March Goals Recap

Even though there were a few crazy work weeks in there, March was generally a really good month for me. I needed that positive momentum after February!

1) Financial:

  • Stick to the budget - sadly, no. We had an extra weekend in there, and had a few date nights that pushed out our eating out budget + groceries. 
  • Every month come up with a new way to reduce what we need/spend on an ongoing basis - we signed up for a toll service that came with a $5 discount, & is up to 20% off for every toll. Not very exciting, but an easy win now that we are signed up. 
  • Make $300 in sidehustle - I made $371!
  • Finish/file our taxes - the numbers weren't pretty, but this is done!
2) Family - spend more time together as a family
  • Do one fun activity/month with the kids. Likely skiing in March - no skiing in March, but a LOT of soccer. I'm counting this, as we spent a lot of time together on the fields. 
  • Get off the computer by 7:45 each evening - I did okay at this, but can always do better. It's such a waste of time, & I don't get much out of it - it's just a habit of scrolling screens. Reading is relaxing & I did a reasonable job of swapping in reading instead of computer time. 
  • Have two dates with M per month - Yes! 
  • Have two meals/week that a minimum of three people in the family can eat. (Lots of food allergy issues going on) - This worked really well & made dinners so much easier. I meal prepped & planned for things that M could eat, so Sam, M & I would typically eat the same dinners. Nick is always an outlier, as he's so picky. :-) 

3) Fitness - lose 2 lbs - I lost 2.1 lbs, but could have lost more if I'd been able to stick to the plan the last week or so!
  • Run 12 times - I ran 10/12 times, but took last week off due to some knee/ankle pain. 
  • Track calories & eat five servings of fruit & vegetables/day - my calories were a little higher than I'd hoped (1516/day), but I achieved 5.5 servings of fruit & veggies/day! My next step is to make vs buying bagged salad, which has been my crutch this month. 
  • Work out 33 times (2 additional/bonus workouts to make up for February) - I hit 28 for March, given taking last week off due to knee/ankle pain. 
  • Meditate 10 times - I only meditated 3 times, & I could have really used the tool during the past few wild weeks at work. 

4) Work/career - improve my work life balance
  • Reduce stress until my sabbatical - It's been a challenging few weeks, with my manager swapping roles. I'll have a new boss, we're planning a re-org, and this was already going to be a crazy insane couple of weeks in March. As a result, I did take time to break up the work day, get advice from people & just take a break, but it was intense. 
  • Nail a large presentation (I'm not a fan of public speaking) - Didn't end up happening, but I did lead a career panel for 100 people, so I feel good about this. 
  • Have one lunch/month to expand my network - I had two, and enjoyed the time breaking out of the norm. 

5) Personal/creative - spend more time on myself/creative pursuits



  • Do something social at least once per month - I did a couple of walks during soccer warm ups, plus met a friend for lunch. 
  • Volunteer a minimum of 1x/month - I'm now arriving early before soccer games to help set up. 
  • Journal 10 times - I found that I enjoy journaling, & completed 12/10 this month. 
  • Make a 2018 photo book - no,  & I'll likely move this out to my sabbatical. 
  • Read one non-fiction book - I'm half way through "Daring Greatly" by Brenee Brown. It's a great book, but I usually read right before I fall asleep, and this book requires more introspection than a standard read, so it's taking me a little longer. 




How did you do with your March goals for the month? Any big wins to celebrate?

5 comments:

  1. You did really well on your monthly goals. I am seriously impressed with the lack of red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a much better month than February. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that your red category was because you had nights out and an extra weekend get away. You work so hard and earned that red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so unusual. .. and nice! We decided to go for it & not look back.

      Delete