Sunday, January 5, 2020

2019 Goals - how did we do


2019 was a wild adventure. I took a sabbatical, received a big promotion at work, went through a bunch of work changes that have eventually led to work improvements (but, the process was crazy). M switched jobs 2x due to org changes. We took lots of trips (together & with others). Those included: several trips to Las Vegas, a trip to Napa, a Hawaii girls trip, several family ski trips, multiple trips to the Oregon coast... Plus multiple work trips. I also completed a half marathon & ran our traditional family relay, with Sam joining in this year.

We struggled with house projects (still awaiting a delivery date for our final door), worked with our pediatrician to have Sam diagnosed with ADHD & got that process underway. Sam was hit by a car on his way to school while biking, and we are incredibly grateful that everything turned out okay.

Largely for us, it was a year of changes & growth. We are all growing, particularly the teen boys in our family! While we didn't accomplish everything on the list, I'm really happy with what did get done. I always set our goals incredibly high, so even when we don't hit all of them, I know we worked hard. I will say that losing weight will need to be a top priority for 2020. As I get older, this process is harder & while I invest a lot of time into my fitness, it's not translating into results, so tweaks are required.

Here's how 2019 went!



1) Financial:
  • Stick to the budget - well, we did well in some categories, & not well in others. Most of our intentional overspend was paying down our mortgage, and adding extra to the boys college accounts. We also increased our travel spending & home projects, as I was on sabbatical. Each year, we continue to work to prioritize our spending in line with our values, & we continue to track all of our spending, so we can reflect back at the end of each month/year. While far from perfect, I'm giving us a yellow on this one. 
  • Come up with a "pay off our house" model, & a 3/5/10 year plan - we instead focused on a "pay off half of our mortgage" plan, and have this mapped out. It gives us a nice focus that is realistic, and allows us to get the mortgage down to a much more manageable/comfortable level. 
  • Every month, come up with a new way to reduce what we need/spend on an ongoing basis. - I didn't really do this often. I had a few wins, but we've optimized a bunch of stuff already, so it's hard to do this on a recurring basis. 
  • Make $3,000 in side hustle money (I made $2,791 in 2018, so this will be a nice stretch) - I made $3700 in 2019! Woohoo!
  • Continue to track "unplanned" money & divert it to our goals - We had $5084 in non-paycheck money (this includes the side hustle). I tracked this, and sent some to the boys college account, and some to pay down our mortgage. 
  • Increase our charitable giving to cover the new corporate match. - We did increase our charitable giving in 2020. Because I wasn't paid over my sabbatical, we didn't quite hit the corporate match.  

2) Family - Spend more time together as a family!
  • Do a minimum of one fun activity/month with the kids.  - We did lots of fun things with the kids... ski trips, kite flying, frisbee on the beach, etc. 
  • Be more present with the kids & M - play games, minimize computer time, exercise together, etc. - I've made lots of improvements on this one, and ended up setting an "off the computer" goal. We also joined a gym together. While this one ebbs & flows a bit, overall, I'm pleased with the progress. 
  • Have two dates with M per month - We achieved at least one each month, and then also took a few long weekends together, plus an unexpected bonus trip to Hawaii in November. 

    3) Fitness/health - lose 15 pounds. Definitely not. I'm starting the year almost exactly where I ended last year. I made some progress in the spring, but unwound that over the summer/fall. 
    • Eat 5 servings of fruit & vegetables/day - yes, I was at 5.13/day. 
    • Build & follow a training plan & run a half marathon in under 2:25. - I ran a half marathon, and mostly followed a training plan, but was nowhere near my PR. 
    • Work out every day in 2019. (Realistically, this will be completing 365 workouts, vs hitting every day. I want a bit of flexibility for days I'm sick, traveling, etc.)  - I completed 323 workouts for the year, so a bit off of the mark. 
    • Get back to more actively tracking my calories - I tracked pretty much all non travel & vacation days. Of course, those big outliers are what interferes most with my progress. 
    • Complete 10,000 minutes of cardio - I ended the year with 11,890 minutes of cardio. 
    • Complete 100 strength workouts. - I completed 85 strength workouts. 
    • Complete 75 stretching workouts. - I completed 31 stretching workouts, so not even half of my plan. 
    • Complete 100 meditations - I meditated 42 times. 

    4) Work/career - Improve my work life balance.
    • Keep better perspective at work/reduce stress (until I leave)  - I largely did this. 
    • Take a sabbatical - YES, and it was amazing!
    • Decide on returning to work part time - I was promoted after my sabbatical, which changed my plans a bit. But, I'm comfortable with things for now. 
    • Stop using electronics by 7:30 each evening - this became more of a family goal than a work goal, but nonetheless, did reasonably well on this one. 

      5) Personal/creative - Spend more time on myself/creative pursuits.
      • Make time for my friends. Do something social at least once per month. - while not evenly distributed, I did plenty of this over my sabbatical, and tried to find other times to make this happen. I added a couple of social lunches to my calendar (work lunches), went for walks with friends, etc. 
      • Volunteer a minimum of 1x/month - this hasn't happened for a variety of reasons. I need to invest the time to figure out what this could look like in 2020. 
      • Write/journal - I journaled 115 times in 2019, and really, really enjoyed it. I'm going to keep it up in 2020. 
      • Make something homemade for Christmas - we changed our plans & while I did make a few homemade things, I want to be even more creative in 2020. 
      • Make photo books & get rid of our all extra digital & photo clutter - well, I did organize our photos, made a wedding album & a baby book for Sam, but ... pretty much petered out after that. The rest of the photos are digital & didn't get further than that. 

      What about you? How did you do with your 2019 goals? Any big wins? Any goals you are carrying over to 2020?

      6 comments:

      1. Who could ever really know what the ebbs and flows and life patterns will be 365 days in advance? The fact that you have a lot of green, more yellow, and very little red must mean you had very intentional and focused efforts. Who knows what 2020 will bring, but I with you and yours a wonderful year, filled with adventure and love.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I agree - it's impossible to tell how things will shape up in advance. I'm happy generally with the list!

          Delete
      2. You did really well and should be proud of all your accomplishments!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Aw, thanks. It's great to list it all out there. I, of course, focus on the things I didn't get done ;-)

          Delete
      3. I think you did great, we are always too hard on ourselves. The fact that your concentration on family was so complete is everything.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. It was a really great year for family. Despite some challenges, we are working well together, prioritizing time as a family & having fun. Pretty much all you could want!

          Delete