Sunday, January 26, 2020

Using things up & other Sunday activities

I accomplished everything on my to do list from yesterday, although admittedly, my back is still really uncomfortable. I'll have to come up with other options for reducing the discomfort.

M & I spent quite a bit of time working on our plan for our Whistler ski trip. The logistics of the trip are a bit more than I'd expected at the time of booking, so we are working through our options to reduce cost but ensure we don't add to much complexity. More to come on this.

The boys went to running club, and I went for a three mile run, so that was all good. Exercise & sunshine are the most effective ways to beat jet lag, so I'm trying to get back on schedule.

Nick made chicken stir fry (that, he wouldn't eat) yesterday, and it was pretty good. He's taking a cooking class at school, so he has tried out a bunch of recipes. We were impressed with the flavor. I think it's hilarious that he will cook things that he won't even try to eat. He's still reasonably picky about food options. Unfortunately, it didn't yield any leftovers.

A week or so ago, I made a list of things I wanted to use up from the pantry. We've made a bit of progress. Details below.

  • Sushi rice (Sam bought for a school cooking project, so this is the remainder) Used for chicken stir fry
  • Multiple packs of sardines. These are M's, and he bought them when he first started doing Keto, but hasn't eaten many. No one else will eat them for sure, so I need to gently motivate
  • Several packages of Liptons onion seasoning. My parents bought it when they were here. I don't have any recipes that use this, so will need to come up with something
  • A huge jar of tahini. I need to make hummus, but will need other ideas, because there's no way we will eat that much hummus
  • A few jars of homemade pesto. I have a chicken recipe that uses pesto, so just need to make it
  • Pine nuts. Not sure what I'll do with these
  • 1/2 a bag of frozen springrolls. No one really loved them, but they need to be eaten
  • So, so, so many bags of frozen bananas. I've encouraged M to buy fewer each week, but that has gone unheeded. 
  • Mini pizzas. I'll make these for the kids for an upcoming lunch or dinner. - the kids have eaten two, but more remain
  • Mini naan breads. These will go nicely with the hummus. 
  • A package of gnocchi (meal kit).
  • A package of salami & sopressata 
  • 1 package of chicken noodle soup - Used up for lunch on Friday. 
  • 1 box of tomato pepper soup - Used last weekend, when no one was feeling very good. 

I've encouraged M to start eating the sardines. Let's see if we make any progress on those. M stocked up on freezer items last weekend, so we are back to absolutely stuffed freezers. I need to try & work through the giant bags of bananas, in order to create more space. Maybe a loaf of banana chocolate chip bread for the kiddos today!

And with that, here's my to do list for today:

  • Take Nick to indoor soccer
  • Go for a run. It's raining, so this may happen at the gym
  • Call my mom to discuss Whistler
  • Call back the car rental company about a ski rack
  • Wash all the sheets/make the beds
  • Make egg roll in a bowl
  • Write up my weekly summary for fitness (calories, workouts, etc.) 
  • Pack for Arizona
  • Order an international sim card from work
  • Make chocolate chip banana bread
That should keep me busy enough. What about you? What are you hoping to accomplish today?

2 comments:

  1. You might have better luck donating the sardines to an animal shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding the tahini- we just had some cake made with tahini instead of butter, and it was delicious. So many looked to use it doing something like that?

    ReplyDelete