Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Things I want to use up

I'm going through the freezer & pantry & creating lists of things I want to use up in the upcoming months.

Here's what's on the list:

  • Sushi rice (Sam bought for a school cooking project, so this is the remainder)
  • Multiple packs of sardines. These are M's, and he bought them when he first started doing Keto, but hasn't eaten many. No one else will eat them for sure, so I need to gently motivate
  • Several packages of Liptons onion seasoning. My parents bought it when they were here. I don't have any recipes that use this, so will need to come up with something
  • A huge jar of tahini. I need to make hummus, but will need other ideas, because there's no way we will eat that much hummus
  • A few jars of homemade pesto. I have a chicken recipe that uses pesto, so just need to make it
  • Pine nuts. Not sure what I'll do with these
  • 1/2 a bag of frozen springrolls. No one really loved them, but they need to be eaten
  • So, so, so many bags of frozen bananas. I've encouraged M to buy fewer each week, but that has gone unheeded. 
  • Mini pizzas. I'll make these for the kids for an upcoming lunch or dinner. 
  • Mini naan breads. These will go nicely with the hummus. 
  • A package of gnocchi (meal kit).
  • A package of salami & sopressata 
  • 1 package of chicken noodle soup
  • 1 box of tomato pepper soup
Getting rid of even some of these would be a huge win. What about you? Do you keep a running list of things you need to move out of your pantry or freezer?

15 comments:

  1. I keep a mental list of things I need to use up and then do my best to use those items up first. That includes leftovers too as I try to have no food waste in our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are good. Leftovers are reasonably easy, as I see them every time I open the fridge. Things that are not in my direct line of sight tend to be forgotten about

      Delete
  2. I have a bunch of old apples I need to use up, a packet of jello, some veggies in the freezer. I really need to go through the entire cupboards and freezers to see what I have though. I know there is more lurking. I make banana pineapple muffins about every 2 weeks to use up the old bananas. They are super moist and make great snacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do make banana oatmeal muffins, and everyone likes those. We still can't keep on top of the bananas. I'm thinking of maybe batches of that banana "ice cream" for the kids, that's really just frozen bananas blended up

      Delete
  3. Lipton soup mixes are great ways to season a roast. Or mix with cream cheese and yogurt or sour cream for a dip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We put the onion seasoning in ground beef and make burgers out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have no idea for the sardines, but would welcome finding a stash of naan and mini pizzas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The naan is a great option for dippers. The mini pizzas just need to make their way into the rotation!

      Delete
  6. I don't keep a list but I really need to start! Thanks for the motivation. ;) And for the pine nuts - make pignoli cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TheHub over buys bananas and I have a ton in the freezer too. He claims he will make smoothies with them, but so far no dice. There has to be a way to use them all but I have not figured it out yet. Meanwhile I just keep adding to the stash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't keep a list, but I so need to. We menu plan, and that helps with budgeting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have salmon and berries in the freezer that need using up. For bananas I mix bananas and ripe avocado together for a healthier treat, it is surprisingly good.

    ReplyDelete