What a day! The kids were pretty bummed about Halloween (mostly because it's on a Saturday & they'd typically get to hang out with their friends & wander the neighborhood & eat copious amounts of candy.) But, we ended up having a lovely day. My BFF suggested a virtual costume contest (zoom call) with a few people & our kids, and we could only make costumes out of things from around the house. The creativity was fabulous, and I loved seeing my 18 year old nephew, and my god daughters (plus sister, etc) all dressed up in homemade costumes. It was fabulous.
We ate pizza & wings, and then drove around to see the lights, decorations & trick or treaters. We left candy on our porch, but we live at the top of a big hill, so not sure anyone really ventured up. The kids picked up a bag of candy from a lovely neighbor (safely, individually wrapped in baggies, and on a table, so very socially distanced) & it was nice to see light festivities happening. People really do adapt.
Yesterday was also the last day of a step competition at my work, and I was in second place with some fierce competition from a teammate in London. I started the day with a seven mile walk/run, then did about two hours on the elliptical, plus a few walks around the block. It was interesting to see how far I could go in one day (short story, just over 21.5 miles). I'm exhausted today & happy that the month is over!
What are we up to today:
- Making muffins
- I'll also make chicken curry for the week ahead
- Nick is making a Hello Fresh meal
- Meeting a friend for a masked up/socially distanced hike this morning
- Cleaning the house
- Chatting with my parents
- Planning for the week ahead
- Helping Sam with some homework (a scheduling system, not homework itself. This is a struggle for him, given the ADHD & remote learning)
- Nick has (virtual) math tutoring
- I need to package & mail one eBay item, and take measurements for a second item & reply to the buyer