Sunday, February 6, 2022

More sports in our future + Sunday activities

High school sports are nothing like I remember, either because I went to a small school, or a lot's changed since then. Or, perhaps some combination of that. At the boys high school, sports seasons overlap by multiple weeks & sometimes a month. If you play soccer (a winter sport), and want to try out for a spring sport, the spring sport coach is "required" to hold a spot for you until your season wraps up. What happens in reality is that the spring coach is attempting to finalize a roster, get back to a bunch of pushy parents & let kids know if they should be coming to practice for multiple weeks/a month, or if they are cut. It's odd & leads to a lot of frustration. Nick was originally told he by the athletic director that he (and all winter sports athletes) couldn't try out for tennis until his winter season ended. However, there was a change on Friday afternoon, and he reported on Saturday morning for tryouts. The tennis coach cautioned him that he would have to beat out all of the kids who had already made JV & had been trying out for a week, and he needed to be the top JV placer. There were 60+ kids trying out, so no pressure. 

I give Nick a ton of credit for walking into a situation like that, staying calm, and performing. Most of the kids trying out have been playing for a long time, play in tournaments, and have a ranking. He has none of that, & picked it up very casually during COVID. He made the team, so the day after the last soccer game...tennis begins. :-) We're very excited for him, especially given the odds. But, this means lots of practices & games, and driving to meets, and the works. I feel so lucky right now that I'm working from home & have some work flex. His good friend made the varsity team, which also means that my dreams of carpooling have been dashed, as JV & varsity play at different times. Hopefully we will be able to set up other carpools. 

Next week is a crazy week, with three soccer games (making up for a few delayed games from COVID, earlier in the season) & a wild work week for me. My goal is to get through it with as little stress as possible. I went through my calendar yesterday, & mapped most things out.

Here's what's on the agenda for today. Lots of paperwork, planning & organization:

  • Meet a friend for a hike. It was a last minute invite last night, and a new trail, so looking forward to that.
  • Gather paperwork for Sam's permit. He FINALLY finished his test, so he will be getting his permit in a few weeks (soonest available appointment).
  • Call insurance to add Sam. Shivers. I've heard this is insanely pricey.
  • Depending on length of hike, strength workout
  • Wrap up January goals, set February goals. I'm late!
  • Make a menu plan for the week, keeping in mind the wild schedule
  • Laundry (of course)
  • Thinking that Nick had tryouts in a few weeks, I'd signed him up for a few extra tennis classes, so he has those today. Oh well, it will give him some confidence going into the season, as he's missing a few weeks of playing with the team.
  • Plan menu & shopping list for ski trip
  • Packing list for ski trip
  • Give away stuff on Buy Nothing
  • Gather tax documents, make a list of what's outstanding
  • Pick up Magic cards for Sam's outdoor birthday party
  • Boys review homework & grades
  • Call my parents
If I finish all of that, I'll be thrilled. What about you? What are you hoping to accomplish this week? 

14 comments:

  1. Different states must have different sports seasons. In our school district, not a sports powerhouse, three sport athletes are encouraged. My friends son does both show choir and is in the winter swim team- I don't know how he juggles both. Congratulations bro Nick. They sound like both are terrific kids and will be great young men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have their moments for sure! :-) The school seems to be comfortable with athletes participating in multiple sports, but the rules & logistics make it difficult when they have so many kids to cut from each team. I think if the numbers were more manageable, it would be less of an issue.

      Delete
  2. Kudos to Nick for walking into that situation. That’s tough! I agree with Sam, they both sound like terrific kids and are going to make great adults. Kudos to Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they have their moments! I don't usually post about them here, because you probably don't want to hear how late they sleep in, how they dislike putting dishes in the dishwasher, the moods, the looks when you ask about homework, etc. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Most folks play at high schools here in this area and the high school coaches seem to work together fairly well in coordinating tryouts for football, football season, tryout for basketball, basketball season, and then tryout for baseball, and baseball season. All the kids at the same high school are on the same schedule and very often they all play at the three main sports here. In the larger schools, which have tennis, golf, etc there seems to be an effort to coordinate also so no mixups like you described. Yikes! So sorry you went through this but proud of your son for handling it well. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really weird, because they don't appear to be against kids trying out for multiple sports, but the seasons overlap enough that it's hard for the coaches to form rosters.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I really miss the days of constantly running the kids to games, practices, and other activities. We were always on the go. Other times really I wonder how I ever kept up with it all and manage to work, cook and keep a clean home all at the same time and then think I'm glad those days are past, sounds way too exhausting lol!

    Congrats to both of your boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have mixed feelings as well. It really keeps us on our toes, and there are so many great moments. I'm trying to hold them close, because we're in the home stretch here! And, my house is rarely very clean.

      Thank you! It was a good day, yesterday.

      Delete
  5. High School sports seasons can get very complicated. I am a high school teacher and I don't see how the kids juggle everything. Oh well, they are young. Yes, you need to be prepared for sticker shock when you add Sam to your car insurance. Teenage boys send insurance premiums through the roof. This is mainly because from a statistics standpoint, they cause the most accidents, get the most tickets--that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already afraid! We have some time with him as a permit driver, which I think is cheaper, but we shall see!

      Delete
  6. Kudos to Nick! I love tennis. I am sure you will love watching his games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played a bit in high school, and hope to take lessons & get back into it in the next few years.

      Delete
  7. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i've been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. ts911

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have. 텍사스홀덤

    ReplyDelete