Friday, February 4, 2022

Frugal Friday

It was a wild work week, but we made it to Friday! That's the best thing I can say about this week. ;-)  


Saving on things we buy

  • It was a quiet week for deals, but we've been doing a good job of staying largely at our grocery budget, which is always a huge win for us. It's mostly because the freezer is well stocked, and we're eating from there & attempting to clear the pantry. 
  • I used an Amazon Kindle offer to browse a few short stories (free), which generated a $5 off a Kindle book purchase. The short stories are nothing I'd pay for, but it was nice to get the $5 for a future book. Time spent was less than five minutes. 

Earning money

  • I made two eBay sales this week, which is nice. It's been a while. 

Avoiding spending

  • Returned something we didn't need. I discovered an alternative just before the return window, so I was glad to get it out of the house & mailed back.

Eating what we have

  • I turned a large Costco sized pack of ground beef into spaghetti sauce & tacos. A couple of containers are in the fridge for meals this week, and the rest went into the freezer.
  • Had the last banana in a protein smoothie, for a late lunch, x2
  • Ate a leftover taquito & the last of a container of sour cream for another lunch one day
  • I turned two containers of lemon curd from the freezer into delicious lemon muffins
  • I used strawberries from the planter box (somehow still growing) for smoothies, and ripened tomatoes indoor for salads
  • Shredded my own cabbage & carrots for coleslaw, which always makes 3x as much as a store bag would, for the same price as the ingredients. My homemade dressing always makes a large batch as well, and M & Sam love coleslaw, so it works well. All dressing has now been used, so I'll use the remainder of the shredded cabbage/carrot mix in M's salads

For others

  • When someone pulled out in front of me, causing me to slam on my brakes, come to a complete stop, and the car was rocking back & forth .... I managed not to honk or use finger gestures. :-) The other driver pretended it didn't happen (no apology wave, etc), but I reminded myself that I also have made driving errors
  • Helped a shopper track down a lost receipt at the grocery store
  • Continued non-profit support & working with two people I'm mentoring
  • Helped a neighbor with childcare
  • Gave away a few items on Buy Nothing
That's it from my side. What about you? Any wins to share? 

5 comments:

  1. Relative had major surgery so used a $20 coupon from CVS for portable toilet. The toilet that the VA provided just didn’t work well. Took relative after hospital discharge to both CVS and Walgreens and they were gonna charge $500 for copay on meds. I came to my senses and took relative to VA where meds were paid for. I am making chili with my forever supply of red beans, along with ground beef. Also made hamburgers from the same package. It was $3.38 a lb so nothing to write home about but it is what it is. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your relative so appreciates your help right now!

      Chili sounds delicious. I had a white chicken chili (from the freezer) for lunch today. Yum.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it amazing how cabbage can grow while you are cutting it? I just saw cabbage at a local grocer for $1.99 a pound. Yes, you could pay over 10 dollars for a cabbage. It is nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy, right? Our local produce stand now has $.99 bags of things they must sell right away. Like 9 yellow peppers or whatever. It's so hard not to buy it all & figure out how to use it later, but I have no room in the freezer, and don't want to spend all weekend prepping veggies. But, I'm tempted!

      Delete
  3. It's crazy how much produce and meat cost. It's eggs, lentils, beans, and whatever I can nourish my body without eating processed food. I finally get rid of the LAST of the processed food in my pantry, except for bouillon cubes. I have a few of those left.

    ReplyDelete