Friday, March 18, 2022

Two weeks of Frugal Friday

 It's been a long & busy couple of weeks, but here are a few highlights to share.

Saving on things we buy

  • Our flight home on Sunday was cancelled. After spending 3 hours on hold with Southwest, and still not getting through, I found another flight & was able to get home super late on Sunday. My sister, similarly, got home after midnight, so it was a long & unexpected day. I followed up with Southwest to request a discount on the flights, given the very long delay & wasting most of our last day chasing flights. We each received $250 for future credit. 
  • Used a free room offer at the hotel, and won $1500 in a tournament (we were in Las Vegas), which covered the cost of flights & meals. 

Earning money

  • Nothing to report here

Avoiding spending

  • We planned our vacation meals to have small snacks/drinks for breakfast & lunches (free) & splurged more on nice dinners.
  • Baked Nick a cake for his birthday (vs buying one).

Eating what we have

  • Because I was gone over a long weekend, meals have been a bit hit or miss, but M made burgers, I took advantage of a $50 work coupon for takeout pizza, & we had some freezer meals. 

For others:

  • Found & returned two wallets while on vacation. So random that it happened, but really happy we could reunite the wallets with their owners. 
  • Organized carpools, to help other parents with soccer driving. 
What about you? Any wins to share?

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your big Vegas win and getting the flight credit. We're splurging on dinner out tomorrow but haven't been out for two weeks and likely not again for another couple so our big date night. At the boys age, no decorations needed on cakes I suppose. My girl though got a pricey Nothing Bundt. I want to explore more copy cars for different flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Nothing Bundt for cupcakes for Sam's birthday a month or so ago. It was his 16th, and corresponded with the last soccer game. They were a hit! And, super pricey. Nick got the $5 version. ;-) Next year he can choose something fancier, if he'd like.

      Thanks - the LV win was a fun surprise!

      Delete
  2. Wow you were a savior. I call southwest Southworst under my Breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southwest really has moments &, while not my favorite, I typically am fine with. However, they were just an absolute train wreck this weekend.

      Delete
  3. First time visitor (from Shubox)!
    I LOVE all things frugal and can't wait to follow along.

    You found TWO wallets. I think I've only found one my entire life (but secretly have always wanted to find a wallet associated with one of those honesty studies - the ones where they plant wallets filled with cash and track their return).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Elisabeth! I'm not sure I've ever found any wallets before, so it was a very strange coincidence to find two!

      Delete
  4. Way to go on that win and getting money to use on a future trip.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have rather gotten home on time, but since that was out of the question, this was the second best alternative!

      Delete