Friday, September 1, 2023

Frugal Friday

It was definitely not a frugal week, as it involved a lot of takeout while I was isolating from everyone, medicine & COVID tests. 

A roundup of a few things that saved money:

  • I didn't eat much at the relay, save for the packed snacks, as I didn't have much of an appetite.
  • I ate nothing at the airport (either way), & filled my water bottle for free.
  • M dropped me off & picked me up at the airport, saving on the cost of transportation
  • I used a Panera gift card to order myself a couple of lunches, as well as a family feast to feed everyone one night. We don't do delivery meals often (crazy pricey), but there are times when they are exactly what you need.
  • I also used DoorDash credits (from my credit card) to order another dinner for myself one night. I locked myself into my bedroom & tried to avoid being in the main living space as much as possible.
  • I found burgers & buns in the freezer, so M could pull together a quick dinner for himself & the teens, in between tutoring & sports practice.
  • I made myself an egg burrito, using the very last of some shredded cheese, & a tortilla I found in a drawer in the way back of the fridge. It's always nice to use up some containers. 
  • I had another creative lunch (strawberries from the garden, 1/2 a bagel with fresh leftover mozzarella cheese that needed to be used up + a garden tomato & the last of a large container of soup I ordered earlier in the week). 
  • And, I loved the 1/2 bagel + fresh mozzarella + garden tomato combo so much, that I had it for dinner another night. There's still quite a bit of fresh mozzarella left, so maybe it will be back for a triple repeat :-) 
I'm hoping to be back, with more energy & more frugality next week! 

2 comments:

  1. I love when a creative meal is a success and becomes part of norm. I made a successful chickpea dish with an odd assortment of pantry and refrigerator lingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I made it as a side dish for Sam last night, and he also loved it. Winner! It's always so nice when a meal "uses things up". I suppose they all do, but particularly when the use it up items have been lingering for a while, it feels more rewarding than it probably deserves :-)

      Delete